jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Explaining joint custody of a child


If you, as the parents of a common child, are not married to each other at the time of his birth, only the mother has custody. Written information can be provided about the mother's sole custody, the so-called negative certificate.

If you would like to have joint custody, both parents must declare this to the Youth Welfare Office or a notary and have it notarized.

You can also make the declaration of custody if your child has not yet been born but has already been conceived. However, this is still possible and necessary after the birth if you do not want to marry each other and do not want to seek a judicial settlement.
A declaration of custody must be publicly notarized. You can arrange this at the youth welfare office responsible for you or, for a fee, at a notary.

After concurring declarations of custody have been submitted, parental custody can only be changed by a decision of the family court.

special notes for - kreisfreie Stadt Halle (Saale), Stadt

In the custody register, which is always kept at the Youth Welfare Office at the place of birth of a child, entries are made if

  • the parents have made declarations that they wish to exercise joint parental authority over their child,
  • parental authority has been conferred on the parents in whole or in part jointly on the basis of a final court decision, or
  • the mother has been deprived of parental authority in whole or in part on the basis of a final court decision and transferred to the father alone.

Proof of parental custody is required in legal transactions if parents want to make decisions for their children that go beyond the so-called everyday care and concern, for example, the child's residence, ensuring its care and upbringing, health care for the child, care for its assets or legal representation.

For this purpose, the law provides for information from the custody register. The Youth Welfare Office in whose area the child's mother has her habitual residence is responsible for providing written information from the custody register. Please take this into account when submitting your application.

  • The parents are not married to each other.
  • There is legal paternity (through effective recognition or judicial determination)
  • The child does not have to be born yet, but it must be conceived.
  • A court decision on parental custody has not yet been made.
  • Parents must appear in person.
  • In principle, the parents must have legal capacity. The declaration of custody of a parent with limited legal capacity requires the consent of his legal representative.
  • Both parents speak sufficiently German. If this is not the case:
    • Youth Welfare Office: If you need an interpreter, please let us know the language you would like when you make your appointment.
    • Notary: If you need an interpreter, you must bring an interpreter to the appointment. This person needs a valid identity document and must not be related to the child's parents or by marriage.
  • Identity card or passport of parents
  • In the case of a postnatal declaration: birth certificate of the child in which the father is registered
  • In the case of a prenatal declaration: maternity record and certificate of acknowledgment of paternity or court order establishing paternity

Contribution: 0,00 - 80,00 EUR
Payment in advance: No
Youth Welfare Office: There are no costs. Notary: approx. EUR 80.00; In addition, there are any costs for interpreters or translators.

The child must still be a minor at the time the declarations of custody are submitted.

The notarization takes place directly at the appointment.

Forms available: No
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible: No
Personal appearance required: Yes
Online services available: No

For the declaration of custody, you must make a personal appointment at the Youth Welfare Office or in a notary's office:

  • If this has not already happened, the father must first effectively acknowledge paternity.
  • Both parents must appear in person
  • At the appointment, you will be informed about the legal consequences of the custody declarations. This will then be read to you and signed by both parents.
  • Both parents receive certified copies of the certificate.

There are no clues or peculiarities.

Federal Ministry of Justice (BMJ)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

special notes for kreisfreie Stadt Halle (Saale), Stadt

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Team Beistandschaft
Neustädter Passage 18
06122 Halle (Saale), Stadt
+49 345 2215654


Neustädter Passage 18
06122 Halle (Saale), Stadt
+49 345 2215768
+49 345 2215654