jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a permit as a veterinarian with a temporary license to practice medicine


If you have completed training as a veterinarian, but do not have a license to practice medicine, and only want to practice the veterinary profession temporarily, you need a permit.

The permit entitles you to use the professional title "veterinarian" or "veterinarian".

The permit may be limited to certain activities and employment positions. It may only be granted or extended revocably and only up to a total duration of veterinary activity of no more than four years. A further granting or extension of the permit is possible.

  • Application for authorisation to practise the veterinary profession temporarily
  • Certified copies of the certificate/diploma of the completed veterinary examination (evidence of formal qualifications)
  • Proof of nationality (certified copy of identity card/passport/proof of identity)
  • If applicable, certified proof of recognition of asylum, permission under the Residence Act or possession of a naturalisation guarantee
  • Signed curriculum vitae in tabular form : up-to-date, concise and with a detailed, timeless presentation of the training and professional career
  • Certificate from the future employer about the possibility of employment and justification (e.g. employment contract, needs test)
  • Proof of impunity
  • police clearance certificate or corresponding certificate from the home country
  • Medical health certificate according to which you are suitable for practicing the veterinary profession from a health point of view (no official medical certificate required)

Note: If the documents are not available in German, they must first be officially translated.

The granting of the provisional professional license of the veterinary profession is subject to a fee. The fees are determined according to the applicable state administrative cost regulations.

The temporary permit is valid for a maximum of 4 years.

An extension is possible. You can find out which requirements must be met at the responsible office. The extension is possible for a maximum of 3 years.

A permit may exceptionally be granted or extended if:

  • it is in the interest of veterinary care, and
  • you are incontestably recognised as entitled to asylum or persons entitled to asylum.
  • you have a settlement permit (§ 23 paragraph 2 Residence Act) or
  • are in possession of an assurance of naturalisation.

Responsible for the state of Saxony-Anhalt is the Ministry of Economics, Science and Digitization of the State of Saxony-Anhalt.

Ministry of the Environment, Agriculture and Energy of the State of Saxony-Anhalt

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.