jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Federal Volunteer Service Agreement


If you want to get involved in the common good outside of work and school, you can complete a federal volunteer service.

They can complete the Federal Voluntary Service in the social, ecological and cultural fields, in the field of sport, integration or in civil protection and disaster control. You can choose for yourself in which area, at which location and at which place of work you are involved.

The following key points apply to the Federal Voluntary Service:

  • The standard period is 12 months, a minimum of 6, a maximum of 18 months. In exceptional cases, assignments of up to 24 months are also possible (for example, if there is a special pedagogical concept).
  • If you are older than 27 years, you can also complete the Federal Voluntary Service part-time (at least 20 hours per week).
  • You will receive pocket money: The maximum amount is currently EUR 390.00 per month.
  • Your contributions to social security and statutory accident insurance are paid by the place of work.
  • If you complete the 12-month Federal Voluntary Service, you are generally entitled to unemployment benefits.
  • If you are younger than 25 years of age and are doing federal voluntary service, your parents can receive child benefit or tax allowances for you.
  • The basis of the assignment is the conclusion of an individual agreement between you and the Federal Office for Family and Civil Society Tasks (BAFzA).

The first six weeks of service are considered a probationary period. The service can be terminated during this time with a notice period of two weeks. After the probationary period, the notice period is four weeks, on the 15th or at the end of each month. In addition, the employment relationship can also be terminated prematurely for good cause - for example, due to the start of vocational training or studies.

During the service, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Youth Employment Protection Act as well as the provisions of the Federal Leave Act apply. For example, if you have been with twelve months of service, you are entitled to 24 days of leave.

Work clothes, accommodation and meals can be provided or the costs for them can be reimbursed.
In the case of social insurance, the Federal Voluntary Service is equivalent to an apprenticeship. The contributions for pension, accident, health, long-term care and unemployment insurance are paid by the place of employment.

As part of the special program "Federal Voluntary Service with Refugee Reference", up to 10,000 new BFD places are made available every year. The occupancy of these places must be related to refugee aid. This means that the deployment must be carried out in refugee aid or the service must be provided by refugees.

  • You must have completed full-time compulsory education.
  • If you do not have German citizenship, you need a residence permit that allows you to work in Germany.
  • For some services, an occupational health examination is required. Please ask your place of work
  • Identity card or residence permit
  • If applicable, proof of occupational health examination


Note: Assignment sites and sponsors may have fixed deadlines for applications and commencements.

An average of 6 weeks, a maximum of 3 months

Forms: Agreement on the performance of a Federal Voluntary Service
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: yes

If you would like to start a Federal Voluntary Service (BFD), you must first look for a place to work:

  • You can find places of employment via the job exchange of the Federal Voluntary Service. However, you can also inquire directly in institutions and projects. The only important thing is that the place of assignment is recognized for the Federal Voluntary Service. If this institution is not yet recognized as a place of employment in the BFD, it can be recognized for it.
  • You agree on the specific contract content of your BFD with the place of assignment and fill out the agreement for the performance of the Federal Voluntary Service. The agreement is forwarded by the department with the signatures of the parties involved.
  • You will then receive a confirmation letter with the agreement from the Federal Office for Family and Civil Society Tasks

Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found