jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for voluntary continued unemployment insurance


Under certain conditions, you can apply for compulsory unemployment insurance so that you can receive unemployment benefit if you become unemployed at a later date. You are entitled to insurance if you

  • are self-employed for at least 15 hours per week, or
  • are employed abroad outside the EU, EEA or outside Switzerland for at least 15 hours per week, or
  • bring up a child over 3 years old on parental leave, or
  • continue their professional training and thus
    • can advance professionally, or
    • receive a vocational qualification or
    • may pursue another professional activity.

The monthly contribution in 2023 will be

  • EUR 88.27 (West) and EUR 85.54 (East) for self-employed persons
    • In the first year of your self-employment and in the following calendar year, you pay only half of the contribution.
  • EUR 88.27 for employees abroad
  • EUR 44.14 (West) and EUR 42.77 (East) for persons on parental leave and for persons undergoing continuing vocational training.

You pay the monthly contribution of the insurance alone and directly to the Federal Employment Agency.

If you are employed abroad, there must be no posting. You may therefore not temporarily work in a foreign company on behalf of your German employer. Otherwise, you would continue to be subject to German social security regulations, voluntary continued unemployment insurance would not be possible.

If you are employed in another European country in addition to your work, the social security law there applies. Compulsory application insurance under German law is then not possible.

Note: If you end your self-employment or employment abroad and take advantage of compulsory application insurance, you must make a demonstrable effort to find work again as soon as possible.

  • You have been compulsorily insured under social security for at least 12 months within the last 30 months prior to taking up employment/employment abroad or the start of parental leave/continuing vocational training, for example as an employee or as a trainee, or
  • Immediately before taking up employment/employment abroad or starting parental leave/continuing vocational training, they were entitled to compensation under the Third Social Security Code (SGB III), for example unemployment benefit, but not unemployment benefit II/Hartz IV and
  • You are neither subject to compulsory nor exempt from unemployment insurance.
  • The compulsory insurance relationship is excluded if you were already subject to compulsory insurance as a self-employed person, interrupted your self-employed activity twice and claimed unemployment benefit during the interruption periods.


  • Identity card or passport with confirmation of registration or replacement document or copies of documents
  • Certificate that you have been compulsorily insured in social security for at least 12 months within the last 30 months before taking up employment/employment abroad or the start of parental leave/continuing vocational training (e.g. employment certificate from your employer)


  • In the case of self-employment:
    • Business registration or
    • Clear, credible explanation of your freelance activity, including appropriate evidence
  • In the case of employment abroad: employment contract
  • In the case of parental leave: "Zusatzblatt Zeiten der Kindererziehung" and notification of parental allowance or childcare allowance
  • In the case of continuing vocational training: proof of the continuing education institution

Forms available: Yes
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: No
Online services available: Yes

You can apply for compulsory insurance on application for unemployment insurance in writing to the Employment Agency:

  • Download the form online from the website of the Employment Agency and print it out or have the form handed over to you on site at the Employment Agency.
  • Fill in the form and attach the necessary supporting documents.
  • Submit the application documents to the Employment Agency. If possible, hand in the completed application documents in person.
  • The decision on your application will be communicated to you in writing by post. Your compulsory insurance relationship on application begins retroactively on the day on which the conditions are fulfilled for the first time, if applicable.

Alternatively, you can also submit the application online.

  • Go to the website of the Federal Employment Agency. Then access the eServices via the menu, click on "Show all services" and then on "Voluntary application insurance".
  • Here you will find barrier-free and digitally fillable documents as well as the upload for the application and further evidence.
  • Download the application form suitable for your job and fill it out electronically.
  • Prepare the necessary evidence. Make sure that the necessary evidence is available in digital form. For example, you can photograph the documents with your smartphone or digital camera and upload them as an image file.
  • Log in with your user account.
    • If you do not have an account, you must first register. If you do not remember your credentials, follow the steps on the Forgot username or Forgot password page.
    • Alternatively, you can receive an access code for the online portal by post.
  • From your user account, you can upload the application for compulsory unemployment insurance as well as all proof and submit it to the Employment Agency.
  • Missing documents and changes can also be submitted or communicated online.
  • You will be informed of the decision on your application. You can find this notification in your profile in the "Bescheidabsche" section – provided that you have agreed to the online delivery.
  • Your compulsory insurance relationship on application for unemployment insurance begins retroactively on the day on which the conditions are fulfilled for the first time, if applicable.

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found