jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit


If you want to enter Germany and stay in Germany, you need a residence permit. The residence permit is the permit for entry and residence in Germany.

There are currently 7 different types of residence permits:

  • Visa
  • Residence permit
  • EU Blue Card
  • ICT Card
  • Mobile ICT card
  • Settlement permit
  • Permanent residence permit - EU.

The Residence Act provides for the following purposes of residence:

  • Training
  • Occupation
  • international, humanitarian or political reasons
  • family reasons
  • special residence rights

The visa and residence permit can be issued for various purposes. The EU Blue Card, on the other hand, is a special residence permit for the exercise of highly qualified employment. The ICT card is issued as a residence permit for intra-company transfers of employees outside the EU to an EU country. Holders of an ICT card can also be transferred to Germany in the long term with the Mobiler ICT card. If you enter Germany as an EU citizen, you only need a valid ID. For stays of more than 3 months, however, you must meet other requirements, such as.B.:

  • You are employed,
  • You have acquired a right of permanent residence or
  • You have sufficient health insurance cover and means of subsistence, or
  • Your family member fulfils one of these conditions.

The requirements depend on the reason for entering Germany and the residence permit you would like to apply for.

Which documents are required depends on the applicable requirements. The decisive factor is therefore which residence permit you are applying for and for what purpose of residence.

Different fees apply. Please inquire at your immigration office.

Foreigners subject to visa requirements must apply for the residence permits required for further residence during the period of validity of the visa.

Foreigners exempt from the visa requirement must apply for the residence permit required for a long-term stay within three months of entry.

The processing time depends on various factors. Please check with the office responsible for your residence permit.

The visa and the ICT card are issued by the foreign missions of the Federal Foreign Office. The competent immigration authority or the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees decides on the issuance of the Mobile ICT Card. All other residence permits are issued by the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.

Who needs a residence permit for gainful employment?

Foreigners from countries that are not members of the European Union or the European Economic Area or Switzerland usually require a residence permit for residence and for the exercise of an employed activity.

What are the exceptions to the residence permit?

Foreigners need a residence permit to enter and stay in the Federal Republic of Germany. Union citizens are exempt from this obligation. Further exceptions are regulated in the Residence Ordinance. For example.B nationals of certain countries do not need a residence permit for stays of up to 90 days if they have a passport and do not want to take up work.

Concrete legal basis depends on the specific residence permit

Ministry of the Interior and Sport Saxony-Anhalt

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Wittenberg - Ausländerangelegenheiten
Breitscheidstr. 3
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg
Breitscheidstraße 3
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg
03491 806-3330
03491 806-3390


03491 806-3339

03491 806-3331

03491 806-3333

03491 806-3334

03491 806-3332

03491 806-3338

03491 806-3337

03491 806-3335