jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit for the purpose of school-based vocational training


You can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of school-based vocational training if your training leads to a state-recognised vocational qualification and the course of education at your training provider is not aimed exclusively at nationals of a state.

The residence permit can be issued both for qualified vocational training and for vocational training that is not qualified.

Qualified vocational training exists if it is vocational training in a state-recognised or comparably regulated training occupation for which a training period of at least two years is specified in accordance with federal or state regulations. If these requirements are not met, it is not a qualified vocational training.

If you are aiming for qualified vocational training, you should usually be able to prove sufficient language skills (language level B1). You can provide suitable language certificates as proof. Alternatively, the training company can also confirm that your language skills are sufficient for the desired qualified vocational training. If you do not yet have the required language skills, you can attend a job-related German language course to prepare for your training.

In principle, there are no requirements for language skills for the commencement of vocational training that is not qualified vocational training. As a rule, however, at least sufficient German language skills at level A2 will be required.

During a qualified vocational training, you may work up to ten hours per week in an employment that is independent of your vocational training. Gainful employment in addition to vocational training that is not qualified is not permitted. Self-employment is not permitted in any case.

The residence permit for the purpose of school-based vocational training is a temporary residence permit. It is issued for the duration of the school-based vocational training.

If your qualified vocational training is terminated prematurely for reasons for which you are not responsible, you can in principle be given the opportunity to look for another training place for a period of up to six months.

The residence permit to participate in school attendance can also be issued on the basis of bilateral and multilateral agreements between the countries and public authorities in other countries.

  • You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute and - if necessary for entry - a suitable visa.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You have a school-based training place in Germany
  • According to federal or state regulations, school-based vocational training leads to a state-recognised vocational qualification.
  • The course is not aimed exclusively at nationals of a state.
  • Your livelihood is secured.
  • With qualified vocational training, you can prove the required language skills
  • If you have not reached the age of 18: the persons entitled to personal custody have agreed to your stay in Germany.
  • Valid passport
  • Current biometric photo
  • Visa, if required
  • Proof of a school-based training place in Germany (e.B. training contract)
  • In the case of qualified vocational training: Proof of sufficient language skills (B1) if the educational institution has not already tested your language skills or if no preparatory German course is completed.
  • Proof of subsistence and health insurance (proof of subsistence can be provided, for example.B by opening a blocked account or submitting a declaration of commitment)
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18-- the consent of the person(s) entitled to custody.

Issuance of residence permit: EUR 100,00

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered.

  • The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your still valid visa or residence permit.
  • The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time. The validity depends on the duration of your training.
  • Objection period: 1 month

about six to eight weeks.

The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence

  • Forms: Forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online
  • Online procedure occasionally possible
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance necessary: yes

The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
  • The eAT card must always be collected in person.
  • Fees apply for issuing the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Wittenberg - Ausländerangelegenheiten
Breitscheidstr. 3
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg
Breitscheidstraße 3
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg
03491 806-3330
03491 806-3390


03491 806-3339

03491 806-3331

03491 806-3333

03491 806-3334

03491 806-3332

03491 806-3338

03491 806-3337

03491 806-3335