jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a residence permit for the purpose of education and training


If you are a national of a non-EU or non-EEA country, you will need a residence permit for training purposes in order to undertake in-company training or further training in Germany.

The residence permit can be issued both for qualified vocational training and for vocational training that is not qualified.

Qualified vocational training exists if it is vocational training in a state-recognized or comparably regulated training occupation for which a training period of at least two years is specified according to federal or state regulations. If these requirements are not met, it is not a case of qualified vocational training.

In-company further training is understood to mean, for example, qualification measures, internships, practical phases following studies or trainee programs.

The residence permit can be issued irrespective of your previous qualification, i.e. it is not linked to special school requirements. The training company has to check whether trainees are suitable for vocational training.

If you wish to attend a language course prior to vocational training that is not qualified vocational training or prior to further training, you must first apply for a residence permit to attend a language course and then for a residence permit for training and further training purposes.

During qualified vocational training, you are entitled to pursue employment for up to ten hours per week that is independent of your vocational training. Gainful employment alongside vocational training that is not qualified or in-company further training is not permitted. Self-employment is not permitted under any circumstances.

You can apply for vocational training allowance for the duration of your training or further education (see "Further information").

Training and further education companies wishing to train or further train a person from abroad can apply to the Foreigners' Registration Office for the accelerated procedure for skilled workers, which facilitates and accelerates the entry of skilled workers (see "Further information").

  • Your livelihood (including health insurance) is secured for the entire duration of the training or continuing education.
  • For qualified vocational training, you can prove sufficient knowledge of the German language (level B 1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).

If you do not yet have the required language skills, you can attend a job-related German language course to prepare for the training. The residence permit to be issued for qualified vocational training also includes attendance of the language course before the start of the vocational training.

For the commencement of vocational training that is not qualified vocational training, there are basically no requirements for language skills. As a rule, however, at least sufficient German language skills at level A2 will be required.

There are no specifications for language skills for taking up in-company further training.

  • The Federal Employment Agency must check the legal requirements for employment (for example, the training contract) and approve the employment (usually arranged by the Foreigners' Registration Office).
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, a person authorized to look after your person must agree to your planned stay in Germany.

There are no reasons of public safety and order against your stay in Germany. There is no interest in deportation against you.

  • Recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport substitute).
  • In case of recent entry: Visa, if this was required for entry.
  • In case of previous stay in Germany: Current residence permit.
  • Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm).
  • Proof of health insurance coverage (for example, confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy).
  • Training or continuing education contract.
  • Approval of the Federal Employment Agency (usually obtained by the Foreigners' Registration Office).
  • In case of qualified vocational training: Proof of sufficient knowledge of the German language (e.g. language certificate, German school, training or university certificates, proof of successful participation in an integration course, confirmation from the training company of sufficient language skills for the intended vocational training, confirmation of registration for a job-related German language course).
  • Proof of means of subsistence (e.g. proof of income, training or employment contract, pension statement, proof of receipt of benefits such as parental or child allowance, alimony payments)..
  • In the case of minors: consent of the person with parental authority to the planned stay.

The documents and information must always be presented in German. In individual cases, the Aliens Department may require less or further proof.

Further documents are required for the implementation of the accelerated skilled worker procedure. As an employer, please contact the foreigners authority responsible for this.

Cost amount (fixed):

  • 100,00 for adult applicants
  • 50,00 for underage applicants


Additional fees may be charged for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

The timing as well as the form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.

In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may be considered (for example, for persons entitled to asylum or recognized refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.

Duration (for span): 6 to 8 before the visa expires.

Remark (for more information on validity):

The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiration of your still valid visa or residence permit.

Duration (for span): 6 to 3

Remark (for further information on the time limit):

The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time. The validity usually depends on the duration of the education or training. An extension must be applied for at the Aliens' Registration Office in good time before the expiry of the validity.

Duration (with span): approx. 6 to 8

Note for further information on processing time:

The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

It takes about 4 to 6 weeks for the Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit.

- For the issuance of a national visa prior to entry into the Federal territory: The German mission abroad (embassy, consulate).
- For the issuance of a residence permit after entry: The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence

For the accelerated skilled worker procedure:
Foreigners' authority at the place of employment, unless a central office has been established to carry out the procedure.

Free advice on the topics of entry, residence and occupation is also available from the 'Hotline Arbeiten und Leben in Deutschland' (Working and Living in Germany) from the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad. Phone: 030 1815-1111 Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Forms available: No

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: Yes

  • The residence permit must be applied for before your visa or visa-free residence period or your current residence permit expires.
  • Find out whether your Aliens' Registration Office allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
  • If the application can only be submitted in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of online application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your application to schedule an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in original, to the appointment). If the approval of the Federal Employment Agency is required, the Foreigners' Registration Office will usually obtain this in an internal administrative procedure.
  • If your application is approved, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence title (eAT card).
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office will order the production of the eAT card from the Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card at the responsible office. As a rule, you must pick up the card in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.

To carry out the accelerated skilled worker procedure, the training and further education company contacts the foreigners authority responsible for the location of the training or further education.

  • During the validity of a residence permit for in-company training and further education, it is generally possible to change to another qualified vocational training program. If the purpose of the residence changes, this must be communicated to the competent foreigners authority immediately. If the requirements are met, it is possible to change to a residence permit for employment as a skilled worker, for employment with distinctive practical vocational knowledge, for studies or other purposes to which there is a legal entitlement.
  • After successful completion of qualified vocational training, the residence permit can be extended for up to twelve months for the purpose of finding a job.
  • Should the qualified vocational training or further training end prematurely for reasons for which the person concerned is not responsible, the possibility can be granted to look for another training place for a period of up to six months.
  • The procedure is usually conducted in German. In case of insufficient knowledge of German, it is advisable to attend with a person who can act as a translator.All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of one's knowledge and belief, so that the request can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information may slow down the process and be detrimental to the individual. In a serious case, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Aliens Department may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, a prison sentence of up to three years, or expulsion from the Federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Ministry of the Interior and for Local Affairs

of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Wittenberg - Ausländerangelegenheiten
Breitscheidstr. 3
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg
Breitscheidstraße 3
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg
03491 806-3330
03491 806-3390


03491 806-3339

03491 806-3331

03491 806-3333

03491 806-3334

03491 806-3332

03491 806-3338

03491 806-3337

03491 806-3335