jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Residence permit for the purpose of education: apply for extension


If you have a residence permit for the purpose of in-company training and further education, the validity of which is about to expire, you must apply for the extension of the residence permit in good time.

The same requirements must be met for the extension of the residence permit as for the initial issue. In principle, your residence permit can be extended until the end of the training or further education if the training or further education relationship continues and is expected to be completed successfully.

The residence permit can only be extended if the approval of the Federal Employment Agency continues. The Foreigners' Registration Office checks this in an internal procedure and obtains the approval again if necessary.

An extension is excluded if this was already ruled out by the Foreigners' Registration Office when the permit was issued or the last time it was extended.

During the qualified vocational training, you are permitted to pursue employment. However, the extension of your residence permit is only possible if the successful completion of your vocational training is not endangered by the pursuit of gainful employment.

  • Your livelihood (including health insurance) is secured for the entire duration of the education or training.
  • The Federal Employment Agency may have to re-examine the legal employment requirements and approve the employment (this is usually arranged by the Foreigners' Registration Office).
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, a person entitled to your personal care must agree to the extension of your stay in Germany.
  • There must be no reasons of public safety and order that conflict with your stay in Germany. There is no interest in deportation against you.
  • Recognized and valid identity document (for example passport or passport substitute)
  • Current residence permit
  • Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage (e.g. confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy)
  • Training or continuing education contract
  • Approval of the Federal Employment Agency, if this has already expired (is usually obtained by the Foreigners' Registration Office)
  • In case of qualified vocational training: Proof of sufficient knowledge of the German language (for example, language certificate, German school, training or university certificates, proof of successful participation in an integration course, confirmation from the training company of sufficient language skills for the intended vocational training, confirmation of enrollment in a job-related German language course)
  • Proof of means of subsistence (e.g. proof of income, training or employment contract, pension statement, proof of receipt of benefits such as parental or child allowance, alimony payments)
  • In the case of minors: consent of the person with parental authority to the extended stay.
  • In case of obligation to attend an integration course: proof that an integration course has been completed or that integration into social and community life has otherwise taken place. If an integration course has not yet been completed, the Aliens' Registration Office can refuse to extend the residence permit or can only extend it for one year until the course has been successfully completed or proof has been provided that integration into social life has otherwise taken place.

The documents and information must always be presented in German. In individual cases, the Aliens Department may require less or further proof.

Cost amount (fixed):

  • 96,00 Euro for a further stay of up to three months
  • 93,00 Euro for a further stay of more than three months


Additional fees may be charged for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

The timing as well as the form of the fee collection as well as the payment vary depending on the authority.

In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may be considered (for example, for persons entitled to asylum or recognized refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.

Duration (for span): 6 to 8 before the visa expires.

Remark (for more information on validity):

Extension should be applied for at least eight weeks before your valid residence permit expires.

Duration (by span): 6 to 3

Remark (for more information on the deadline):

In case of extension, your residence permit will be limited again. The duration of the time limit usually depends on the duration of the education or training.

Duration (with span): approx. 6 to 8 weeks

Note for further information on processing time:

The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

It takes about 4 to 6 weeks for the Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit.

- Online procedure occasionally possible
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes

  • The extension of the residence permit must be applied for before your current residence permit expires.
  • Find out whether your Aliens' Registration Office allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
  • If the application can only be submitted in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of online application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your application to schedule an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in original, to the appointment).
  • If the approval of the Federal Employment Agency needs to be renewed, the Foreigners' Registration Office will usually obtain it in an internal administrative procedure.
  • If your application is granted, your electronic residence permit (eAT card) will be renewed. For the renewal, your fingerprints will be taken at the Aliens' Registration Office. You will also be required to provide a signature.
  • The Aliens' Registration Office will order the production of the eAT card from the Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card at the responsible office. As a rule, you must pick up the card in person.
  • If the purpose of your stay changes, you must inform the relevant immigration office immediately.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
  • During the validity of a residence permit for in-company training and further education, it is generally possible to change to another qualified vocational training program. If the purpose of the residence changes, this must be communicated to the competent foreigners authority immediately. If the requirements are met, it is possible to change to a residence permit for employment as a skilled worker, for employment with distinctive practical vocational knowledge, for studies or other purposes to which there is a legal entitlement.
  • After successful completion of qualified vocational training, the residence permit can be extended for up to twelve months for the purpose of finding a job.
  • Should the qualified vocational training or further training end prematurely for reasons for which the person concerned is not responsible, the possibility can be granted to look for another training place for a period of up to six months.
  • The procedure is usually conducted in German. In case of insufficient knowledge of German, it is advisable to attend with a person who can act as a translator.
  • All information provided to the Aliens' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of your knowledge and belief, so that the request can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information may slow down the process and be detrimental to the individual. In a serious case, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Aliens Department may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, a prison sentence of up to three years or expulsion from the Federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Ministry of the Interior and for Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Wittenberg - Ausländerangelegenheiten
Breitscheidstr. 3
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg
Breitscheidstraße 3
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg
03491 806-3330
03491 806-3390


03491 806-3339

03491 806-3331

03491 806-3333

03491 806-3334

03491 806-3332

03491 806-3338

03491 806-3337

03491 806-3335