jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a residence permit for the purpose of employment as a skilled worker with professional training


You can obtain a residence permit for skilled workers with vocational training if you have completed qualified vocational training in Germany. Qualified vocational training exists if you have completed vocational training in a state-recognized or comparably regulated training occupation. The duration of the training must have been at least two years. If you have completed your vocational training abroad, the equivalence of your qualification with the German, qualified vocational training must be determined by the responsible recognition body (e.g. the Chamber of Industry or Commerce).

Before the residence permit is issued, the Federal Employment Agency must give its approval. This Federal Employment Agency checks whether the working conditions correspond to those of comparable German employees, whether you are engaged in an occupation for which your qualification qualifies you and whether a domestic employment relationship exists.

If the residence permit is granted, it will be limited in time. The validity depends on your employment contract or the period of validity of the approval of the Federal Employment Agency. In the case of unlimited employment contracts, the residence permit for skilled workers is issued for a period of four years.

  • You have a recognized and valid passport or passport replacement and - if required for entry - an appropriate visa.
  • There is no interest in deportation against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You possess
  • a domestic qualified vocational training or
  • an equivalent foreign professional qualification
  • You possess a qualification that enables you to perform qualified employment. This means that, in principle, you can also pursue employment in a related occupation if there is a connection between the training you have received and the intended occupation (e.g. a baker can also work as a confectioner).
  • You have a job or a job offer
    If you have reached the age of 45, you must provide proof of an employment contract or a binding job offer with a certain minimum salary. The minimum salary must reach 55 percent of the annual contribution assessment limit in the general pension insurance. This results in a minimum salary for 2020 of 45,540 euros per year. Even if this minimum salary is not reached, a residence permit may be issued upon presentation of proof of adequate pension provision or in special cases (e.g. if there is a public interest in the employment).
    The amount of the income threshold is published for each year by the Federal Ministry of the Interior, for Construction and Home Affairs in the Federal Gazette by December 31 of the previous year.
  • The Federal Employment Agency has given its consent to the employment (the consent is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office). For approval, among other things, your working conditions (especially salary) must be comparable to those of a German employee in the same position.
  • If required, you must have a professional practice permit.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your income without claiming public benefits.
  • Valid passport
  • Current biometric photo
  • Original of your employment contract or a binding job offer (please use the nationwide standardized form Declaration of Employment Relationship )
  • Original of the certificate of successfully completed professional training
  • If available, notification of the determination of the equivalence of the foreign professional qualification with a domestic qualified professional training.
  • For regulated professions: Your professional license
  • If required: license to practice your profession
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Current certificate of residence
  • Rental contract

Also If you have recently entered the country:

  • Visa, if this was required for the entry

as well as in case of previous residence:

  • Current residence title or other certificate of right of residence (e.g. residence permit, toleration).

Issuance of residence permit: EUR 100,00

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered.

  • The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before your still valid visa or residence permit expires.
  • The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time. The validity depends on the period of validity of your employment contract and the approval of the Federal Employment Agency.
  • Objection period: 1 month

about six to eight weeks

The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence

  • Forms: Declaration of employment relationship (standardized nationwide ); other forms specific to the authorities can be obtained from your foreigners authority; these may also be offered online.
  • Online procedure possible in some cases
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: yes

The residence permit must be applied for at the aliens' registration office responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the foreigners authority and your concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your foreigners authority offers electronic application for the residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Aliens' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be received and your supporting documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). For the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card) your fingerprints will be taken.
  • In the case of an electronic application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your online application to arrange an appointment at the Aliens' Registration Office, if necessary. During the appointment, your supporting documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT- card).
  • If your application is approved, the Aliens' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can collect the eAT card from the Aliens' Registration Office.
  • The eAT card must always be collected in person.
  • Fees are charged for the issuance of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.

§ 18 Residence Act

§ 18a Residence Act

§ 39 Residence Act

Ministry of the Interior and for Local Affairs

of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Wittenberg - Ausländerangelegenheiten
Breitscheidstr. 3
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg
Breitscheidstraße 3
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg
03491 806-3330
03491 806-3390


03491 806-3339

03491 806-3331

03491 806-3333

03491 806-3334

03491 806-3332

03491 806-3338

03491 806-3337

03491 806-3335