jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for registration for motor vehicles


Responsible for admission is the licensing authority in whose area you have your residence or place of business.

Vehicles can be registered to private individuals and legal persons or companies as vehicle owners, i.e. also to

  • Corporate
  • Public authorities or
  • Clubs.

For a new vehicle, you must submit an application for registration to your registration authority. New vehicles are vehicles which:

  • participate in public road traffic for the first time and
  • have not previously been registered either domestically or abroad.

For a used vehicle that

  • has previously only been used on non-public land (e.g. on an airport site) or
  • was previously only registered abroad

you must submit an application for initial registration to the competent licensing authority.

If your car has been registered, you will receive the registration documents and your personal registration number from the registration authority.

Note: For an already registered used vehicle, you only have to submit an application for re-registration in the event of a change of owner.

  • You may not have any arrears of fees and expenses from previous admission procedures.
    • Payment arrears over EUR 30.00: no admission until you have settled the debt
    • Payment arrears below EUR 30.00: Admission at the discretion of the authority
  • You must not have vehicle tax debts of EUR 5.00 or more. When calculating the amount, late payment penalties, interest and late payment penalties shall also be taken into account.
  • valid identity card or passport
  • in case of representation: additionally
    • written power of attorney
    • valid identity card or passport of the authorised person
  • for minors: additional declaration of consent and identity documents of the legal guardians
  • for legal persons/companies:
    • Excerpt from the commercial register,
    • Business registration or
    • Excerpt from the register of associations
  • Declaration on the collection of motor vehicle tax (SEPA direct debit mandate): Form is also available at the local registration office
    • Note: Severely disabled people with the mark "H", "BI" or "aG" in their severely disabled person's pass are exempt from motor vehicle tax. You do not need to present a direct debit authorization.
  • Proof of the right of disposal of the holder to be registered:
    • for the first registration of vehicles with EC type-approval:
      • Registration certificate Part II and
      • Certificate of conformity (COC paper)
    • for the first registration of vehicles with national type-approval:
      • Registration certificate Part II with registered type and variant/version key number
      • Data confirmation from the vehicle manufacturer
    • additionally purchase contract or original invoice for vehicles with
      • EC type-approval (EC certificate of conformity/COC),
      • national type-approval (general type-approval/ABE) or
      • Individual approval
  • Insurance confirmation (eVB code) from an insurance company of your choice
    • Note: You can usually request them by phone.
  • Reservation confirmation, if you have applied for a desired license plate in advance
  • Note: The competent authority may request further documents

Application: Depending on administrative costs from EUR 26.80
License plate: from EUR 10,20

Usually immediately

You must apply for registration at the vehicle registration authority of your district or city where you have your main residence.

Legal persons, commercial companies or authorities may register their vehicle at the registered office of the company/authority or the place of the branch/service involved.

The application can be made by you personally or by a representative authorized by you.

Forms: none

Online procedure possible: from 01.10.2019 for private individuals

Written form required: yes

Personal appearance required: yes

You must apply for admission in writing or online:

  • For information on the required documents and forms, please contact:
    • your local licensing authority, or
    • the local registration authority responsible for the location of the vehicle.
  • Make an appointment or, if available, use the online procedure.
  • Bring all necessary documents as well as the respective payment amount to your appointment.
  • Your documents will be checked directly on site.
  • In case of a positive examination, you will receive the following during the appointment:
    • Your personal identifier,
    • the stamped number plates, and
    • Your registration documents.
  • In most cases, there are private dealers not far from the registration office, where you can have the license plate printed on a license plate directly afterwards.

Note: You can also be represented by an authorized person. If you are not registered in Germany, you can only apply for the license plate if you name a person authorised to receive it.

Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Wittenberg - KFZ-Zulassung
Breitscheidstraße 4
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible