jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for registration for motor vehicle trailers


You apply for the registration of your motor vehicle trailer (motor vehicle trailer) at the registration authority in whose area you have your residence or place of business. Motor vehicle trailers can be registered to private individuals and legal entities or companies as vehicle owners, i.e. also to:

  • Corporate
  • Authorities or
  • Clubs.

Motor vehicle trailers are exempt from the registration requirement if they

  • are not used for journeys above 25 km/h and either
    • carried behind tractors or self-propelled machinery for agricultural or forestry purposes,
    • in the form of caravans and vans in the fairground trade, or
    • are used as mobile construction booths.

In addition, without a speed limit, the following are exempt from the registration requirement:

  • Machinery
  • special trailers for the transport of sports equipment, animals for sports purposes or lifeboats,
  • supporters of the fire brigade and civil protection,
  • single-axle trailers behind motorcycles, mopeds and motorized wheelchairs, and
  • Seat carts carried behind single-axle agricultural or forestry tractors or work machines.

Note: For a vehicle trailer that has already been registered, provided that it has not been completely taken out of service in the meantime, you only have to submit an application for re-registration in the event of a change of ownership.

  • The trailer must be of an approved type or an individual permit must have been granted.
  • Motor vehicle liability insurance for your vehicle trailer
  • You must not have any arrears of fees and expenses from previous admission processes.
    • Payment arrears over EUR 30.00: no admission until you have paid the debt
    • Payment arrears of less than EUR 30.00: Authorisation at the discretion of the local competent authority
  • You must not have any vehicle tax debts of EUR 5.00 or more. When calculating the amount, late payment penalties, interest and late payment penalties are also taken into account.
  • for private individuals:
    • valid identity card or passport
  • for legal entities/companies:
    • Excerpt from the commercial register or
    • Business registration or
    • Excerpt from the register of associations
  • Registration certificate Part II (if available, otherwise apply for a copy),
  • Certificate of Conformity (COC) or
  • Individual approval of the trailer in the original,
  • Report on the successfully carried out and valid general inspection,
  • electronic confirmation of insurance

There are costs.

Varies depending on the admissions office.

Forms: can be obtained from your local registration authority

Online procedure possible: no

Written form required: no

Personal appearance required: no

You must apply for admission in person:

  • Check with your local licensing authority for the required documents and forms.
  • If possible, make an appointment or, if available, use the online procedure.
  • Bring all the necessary documents as well as the respective payment amount with you to your appointment.
  • Your documents will be checked directly on site.
  • If the test is positive, you will receive the following during the appointment:
    • Your personal identifier,
    • the stamped license plates, and
    • Your registration documents.
  • In most cases, there are private dealers not far from the registration office, where you can have the license plate printed on a license plate directly afterwards.

Note: You can also be represented by an authorized person. If you are not registered in Germany, you can only apply for the license plate if you name a person authorized to receive it.

Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found