jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a national visa


Depending on your nationality, you may need a national visa for stays in Germany lasting longer than 90 days. The procedure and requirements also depend on the purpose for which you want to stay in Germany (e.g. employment, family reunification, studies and training).

There is no visa requirement for citizens of EU countries and some other countries (e.g. Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, USA, Canada, Australia). As a rule, they can also enter the country for a longer stay without a national visa and apply for their residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office after entering the country. A complete list of countries with an indication of the respective visa requirements can be found on the website of the Federal Foreign Office.

In certain cases, you will need to prove your knowledge of the German language. The issuance of the national visa is governed by the same rules that apply to the issuance of the residence permit that you must apply for in Germany after the visa expires (e.g. residence permit, EU Blue Card).

The requirements depend on your nationality and the purpose of your stay. They are regulated in detail in the provisions of the Residence Act and other legal ordinances.

Details on the documents to be submitted can be found on the websites of the German missions abroad.

  • Standard rate: EUR 75.00
  • for minors up to their 18th birthday: EUR 37.50

In certain cases, the fee may be reduced or waived altogether.

Please submit your application in good time. Information on the appointment situation and booking appointments can be found on the websites of the German missions abroad.

Depending on the individual case, between a few days and several months

The contact persons for national visas are the visa offices of the German missions abroad.

  • Forms: yes
  • Online procedure possible: no
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: yes

You must apply for a visa for a long-term stay at the diplomatic mission responsible for you.

  • Find out more about the application procedure and the documents to be submitted on the website of the diplomatic mission responsible for you
  • Make an appointment at the diplomatic mission abroad
  • Download, print and fill out the visa application. On the agreed date, please visit the diplomatic mission in person. Please bring the completed application and all required documents with you.
  • A member of staff at the diplomatic mission will have a conversation with you. For safety reasons, this takes place at the counter.
  • In certain cases, once your application has been accepted, the diplomatic mission will contact the Foreigners' Registration Office or, in the case of taking up employment, the Federal Employment Agency in Germany, which is responsible for the place where you would like to live or work. In these cases, the diplomatic mission can only issue the visa if the Foreigners' Registration Office or the Federal Employment Agency agrees.
  • The visa will be pasted into your passport in the form of a label.
  • Only if you cannot be granted a visa, you will receive a written decision. You then have the following legal remedies:
    • You can submit your objections in writing (remonstrate) to the diplomatic mission within one month. The diplomatic mission will then review your visa application again.
    • If your application has been rejected even after the second examination, you can file a complaint with the Berlin Administrative Court within one month.
    • You can also file a complaint directly with the Berlin Administrative Court within one month.
  • If you are already in Germany: Please contact the Foreigners' Registration Office responsible for you. She is responsible for questions of residence law and decides on your application.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found