jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

temporary participation of vehicles registered in another EU or EEA member state on public roads in Germany


With a motor vehicle registered in another member state of the European Union or another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, you may temporarily participate in traffic in Germany. This temporary use is limited in time for up to one year.

  • A valid registration certificate issued by a competent authority of the other Member State or of the other Contracting State.
  • The registration certificate is carried.
  • No regular domestic location.
  • The vehicle is safe to operate and drive.
  • The registration certificate is drawn up in German and complies in its form with Directive 1999/37/EC or Article 35 of the Convention of 8 November 1968 on Road Traffic. If not, a confirmed translation must also be carried.
  • Motor vehicles registered in another country must have their domestic registration plates on the front and rear.
  • Motorcycles only need a license plate on the back.
  • Trailers registered in another country must bear their domestic registration number on the rear or, if one is not allocated or issued, the registration number of the towing motor vehicle.

Such vehicles must also bear the distinctive sign of the country of registration (nationality plate), unless this distinctive sign is already listed on the left edge of the license plate in accordance with European law.

Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure, Division LA 23

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found