jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a residence permit for the purpose of education and training


If you are a citizen of a non-EU or non-EEA country, you will need a residence permit for training purposes for in-company training or further education in Germany.

The residence permit can be issued for both qualified vocational training and vocational training that is not qualified.

Qualified vocational training exists if it is vocational training in a state-recognised or comparably regulated training occupation for which a training period of at least two years is specified under federal or state law. If these requirements are not met, it is not qualified vocational training.

In-company training includes, for example, qualification measures, internships, practical phases following studies or trainee programs.

The residence permit can be issued regardless of your previous qualifications, i.e. it is not linked to special school requirements. Whether trainees are suitable for training must be checked by the training company.

If you want to attend a language course in advance of vocational training that is not qualified vocational training or before further training, you must first apply for a residence permit to participate in a language course and then a residence permit for training and further education purposes.

During qualified vocational training, you are entitled to work up to ten hours a week in employment that is independent of your vocational training. Gainful employment in addition to vocational training that is not qualified or in-company training is not permitted. Self-employment is not permitted under any circumstances.

You can apply for vocational training allowance for the duration of your training or further education (see "Further information").

Training and further education companies that would like to train or further train a person from abroad can, on behalf of the foreigner, apply to the Foreigners' Registration Office for the accelerated skilled worker procedure, which can facilitate and accelerate the entry of skilled workers (see "Further information").

  • Your livelihood (including health insurance) is secured for the entire duration of your education or training.
  • For qualified vocational training, you can prove that you have sufficient knowledge of the German language (level B 1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).

If you do not yet have the necessary language skills, you can attend a job-related German language course in preparation for your training. The residence permit to be issued for qualified vocational training also includes attendance of the language course before the start of vocational training.

In principle, there are no requirements for language skills for taking up vocational training that is not qualified vocational training. As a rule, however, at least sufficient German language skills at level A2 will be required.

There are no language skills requirements for taking up in-company training.

  • The Federal Employment Agency must check the employment requirements (e.g. the training or further education contract) and approve the employment (usually arranged by the Foreigners' Registration Office).
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, a person entitled to your personal custody must agree to the planned stay in Germany.

Your stay in Germany is not precluded by reasons of public safety and order. There is no interest in expulsion against you.

  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute).
  • In case of recent entry: visa, if it was required for entry.
  • If you have a previous stay in Germany: Current residence permit.
  • Up-to-date biometric photo in the size (45 x 35 mm).
  • Proof of health insurance coverage (e.g. confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy).
  • Education or training contract.
  • Approval of the Federal Employment Agency (usually obtained by the Foreigners' Registration Office).
  • In the case of qualified vocational training: Proof of sufficient knowledge of the German language (e.g. language certificate, German school, training or university certificates, proof of successful participation in the integration course, confirmation from the training company of sufficient language skills for the desired vocational training, confirmation of registration for a job-related German language course).
  • Proof of livelihood (e.g. proof of income, training or employment contract, pension notice, proof of receipt of benefits such as parental or child benefit, alimony payments).
  • In the case of minors: consent of the person with custody to the planned stay.

The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or more evidence.

Further documents are required for the implementation of the accelerated skilled worker procedure. As an employer, please contact the responsible immigration office.

Cost amount (fixed):

  • 100.00 for adult applicants
  • 50.00 for underage applicants


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

The timing and form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.

In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may be considered (e.g. for persons entitled to asylum or recognised refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.

Duration (at range): 6 to 8 before the visa expires

Note (for more information on validity):

The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your visa or residence permit, which is still valid.

Duration (at span): 6 to 3

Note (for more information on the deadline):

The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time. The validity usually depends on the duration of the training or further education. An extension must be applied for at the Foreigners' Registration Office in good time before the validity expires.

Duration (at span): approx. 6 to 8

Note for further information on processing time:

The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

It takes about 4 to 6 weeks for Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit.

- For the issuance of a national visa before entering Germany: The German mission abroad (embassy, consulate)
- For the issuance of a residence permit after entry: The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence

For the accelerated skilled worker procedure:
Foreigners' Registration Office at the place where the service is performed, unless a central office has been set up to carry out the procedure.

You can also get free advice on the topics of entry, residence and work from the 'Hotline Working and Living in Germany' from the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad. Phone: 030 1815-1111 Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Forms available: No

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: Yes

  • The residence permit must be applied for before your visa or visa-free period of stay or your current residence permit expires.
  • Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, with you to the appointment). If the approval of the Federal Employment Agency is required, the Foreigners' Registration Office usually obtains it in an internal administrative procedure.
  • If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken in the form of an electronic residence permit (eAT card) for the production of the residence permit.
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions the production of the eAT card from Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card from the responsible office. The collection must always be done in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.

In order to carry out the accelerated procedure for skilled workers, the training and further education company contacts the immigration authority responsible for the place of training or further education.

  • During the validity of a residence permit for in-company training and further education, it is generally possible to switch to another qualified vocational training. If the purpose of the stay changes, this must be reported immediately to the competent immigration authority. If the conditions for this are met, it is possible to change to a residence permit for employment as a skilled worker, for employment with distinctive practical professional knowledge, for studies or other purposes to which there is a legal entitlement.
  • After successful completion of qualified vocational training, the residence permit can be extended for up to twelve months to look for a job.
  • If the qualified vocational training or further training ends prematurely for reasons for which the person concerned is not responsible, the possibility may be given to look for another training place for a period of up to six months.
  • The procedure is usually carried out in German. If you have insufficient knowledge of German, it is advisable to speak with a person who can act as a translator. All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of our knowledge and belief so that the request can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be detrimental to the persons concerned. In the event of an emergency, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Foreigners' Registration Office may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, imprisonment of up to three years or expulsion from the federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Ministry of the Interior and Local Government

of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Wittenberg - Ausländerangelegenheiten
Breitscheidstr. 3
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg
Breitscheidstraße 3
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg
03491 806-3330
03491 806-3390


03491 806-3339

03491 806-3331

03491 806-3333

03491 806-3334

03491 806-3332

03491 806-3338

03491 806-3337

03491 806-3335