jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a residence permit to carry out a qualification measure with employment


You can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of carrying out a qualification measure if a recognition procedure has been carried out at a body responsible for the recognition of professional qualifications in Germany and the recognition authority has determined that the qualification measures for the

  • Determination of the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification with a domestic professional qualification or
  • for the issuance of a licence to practise a profession (access to a profession) in a profession regulated in Germany

are required.

Regulated professions are those for which special professional qualifications had to be acquired for access and practice, such as doctors, architects, pharmacists. You can find out whether your profession is regulated in Germany, by which laws it is regulated and where you have to contact to check your qualifications in the information portal "Recognition in Germany" (see "Further information")

Qualification measures include adaptation and compensatory measures in theoretical and practical form (internships in the company, theoretical courses, mixed forms), preparatory courses for examinations and language courses.

In addition to the implementation of a qualification measure, you can pursue employment for an unlimited period of time if the intended activity during the recognition procedure is related to the professional knowledge required in your subsequent employment. Such a connection exists, for example, if you want to have your foreign medical training recognized and already want to work as a nursing assistant during the qualification measure or if you already want to work as a bricklayer or as a construction assistant during the qualification measure as a bricklayer.

For regulated professions, a licence to practise must be granted or promised. The professional practice permit includes the professional authorization to practice the profession as well as the granting of the permit to use the professional title.

The residence permit for the implementation of a qualification measure with employment is a temporary residence permit. It is awarded for the duration of the qualification measure, up to a maximum of 18 months.

  • You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute and, if required for entry, an appropriate visa.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Their stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • The authority responsible for the recognition of your professional qualification in Germany has determined in a decision that you lack practical or theoretical knowledge or skills in order to achieve full equivalence and that the adjustment, compensatory measures or further qualifications are necessary to determine the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification with a domestic professional qualification.
    If you intend to work in a regulated profession, the decision must state that the adaptation or compensatory measures are necessary for the granting of the professional licence.
  • You have successfully registered for a corresponding qualification measure.
  • The qualification measure is suitable to enable the recognition of the professional qualification or access to the profession.
  • You have at least German language skills at level A2.
  • You can submit a concrete job offer for later employment after obtaining full recognition as well as a concrete job offer for the intended employment during the recognition procedure.
  • The intended activity is related to the professional knowledge required in the later employment.
  • The Federal Employment Agency has approved the exercise of employment.
    Consent is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage without using public services.
  • In the case of regulated professions, a licence to practise must be granted or promised, insofar as this is required.
  • Valid passport
  • Recent biometric photo
  • Visa, if required
  • Deficit decision of the recognition body
  • Proof of at least sufficient knowledge of German at level A 2
  • Proof of the intended qualification measure, if applicable. Continuing Education Plan
  • Concrete job offer for later employment after obtaining full recognition
  • Concrete job offer for a planned employment during the recognition procedure (proof by submitting the declaration of employment, see under "Further information")
  • Proof of subsistence
  • Lease
  • Proof of your health insurance
  • If applicable, professional practice permit

Issuance of residence permit: EUR 100.00

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered

  • The residence permit should be applied for no later than eight weeks before the expiry of your visa, which is still valid.
  • Objection period: 1 month

about six to eight weeks.

The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence

You can also get free advice on the topics of entry, residence and work from the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" from the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad:

Phone: 030 1815-1111

Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

  • Forms: Forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online
  • Online procedures possible in isolated cases
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: yes

The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration office responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the immigration office and the request, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be received and your evidence will be checked (bring it with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eATKarte).
  • In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the production of the eAT card.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
  • The eAT card must always be picked up in person.

There are fees for the issuance of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.

§ 16 d paragraph 1 in conjunction with Section 16d (2) of the Residence Act

Ministry of the Interior and Local Government

of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Wittenberg - Ausländerangelegenheiten
Breitscheidstr. 3
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg
Breitscheidstraße 3
06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg
03491 806-3330
03491 806-3390


03491 806-3339

03491 806-3331

03491 806-3333

03491 806-3334

03491 806-3332

03491 806-3338

03491 806-3337

03491 806-3335