jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

(Partial) Apply for exemption from German capital gains tax for foreign corporations


In special cases, foreign recipients (creditors) of capital gains can be relieved in whole or in part by exemption from capital gains tax (KapSt).

An exemption certificate can only be issued to a corporation domiciled abroad that has a direct interest of at least 10 percent in a distributing corporation subject to unlimited taxation.

The exemption from capital gains tax may be excluded in certain cases (e.g. in the case of companies without function or substance). Thus, this regulation is directed against tax arrangements that attempt to achieve relief from capital gains tax by exploiting the advantages of agreements or directives.

You must submit your application for exemption from German withholding tax on capital gains in writing to the Federal Central Tax Office (BZSt).

Applications can be submitted:

  • legal entities domiciled abroad
    •  who are subject to taxes on income or profit in their country of residence without being exempt from it, and
    •  to which capital gains accrue from domestic corporations subject to unlimited taxation in which they have a direct interest of at least 10 per cent

When applying, you must submit:

  • appropriate power of attorney in the event that the application is made through an authorized representative
  • Proof of the amount of direct participation in the nominal capital of the affiliated company, for example:
  • Contracts for the acquisition of the shares or notarized current list of shareholders
  • Proof of the justification of the investment income, for example:
    • Profit Participation Rights Agreement
    • Loan agreement

Application: The validity of the exemption certificate begins at the earliest on the day on which the application is received by the Federal Central Tax Office (BZSt)

Validity of the exemption certificate: from a minimum of 1 to a maximum of 3 years, after which a new application must be submitted

  • for the processing of the application: 3 months after complete submission of all necessary supporting documents
  • Objection
  • Fiscal court action

You must submit the application for exemption in writing to the Federal Central Tax Office (BZSt), Department St I B 3.

  • Download the application from the BZSt website. Fill out the application electronically. Print it out and sign it.
  • The tax authority of the foreign state must confirm the place of residence.
  • Then send the application and all documents by post to the BZSt office in Bonn.
  • Your application will be processed and examined by the BZSt.
  • You will receive a certificate of exemption or a notice of rejection of your application by post.
  • In the event that an exemption certificate is issued, the distributing corporation (debtor) may refrain from deducting tax in whole or in part from the outset if the exemption certificate is available.

Federal Ministry of Finance (BMF)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found