jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a gun ownership card for hunting associations


Basically, you always need a permit to acquire and possess weapons and ammunition.

In general, firearms are objects intended for attack or defence, signalling, hunting, distance injection, marking, sport or play, in which projectiles are driven through a barrel or in which solid bodies are deliberately fired, whose propulsive energy can be introduced by muscle power or another source of energy and stored or held by a locking device (for example, crossbows, Arrow launchers).

A distinction is made between firearms subject to authorisation and firearms. In order to carry firearms without a permit, you need a small firearms license. All weapons subject to authorisation are counted that are not alarm shot, irritant and signal weapons with PTB signs in a circle. A detailed list of weapons for which you need a gun ownership card can be found in Annex 2 of the Weapons Act.

You must appoint a responsible person who must be reliable and personally suitable under weapons law and can prove the necessary expertise. This person does not have to be authorized to represent, i.e. for example, not a member of the Executive Board. If the responsible person leaves the hunting association, you must immediately notify the competent authority and appoint a new responsible person within 2 weeks. Otherwise, the competent authority will revoke your permission to acquire and possess weapons (weapon ownership card).

It is recommended that you inform yourself in detail about the regulations of the weapons law before applying.

In order to obtain permission to acquire and possess weapons and ammunition requiring a permit, you must be registered as a hunting association in the register of associations and prove the safe storage of weapons and ammunition. The responsible person you designate must:

  • have the appropriate age, and
  • their reliability in terms of weapons law,
  • their personal suitability and
  • prove their expertise in handling weapons and ammunition.
  • The responsible person must be at least 25 years old.
  • The responsible person must prove his or her reliability under weapons law.

    Among other things, the responsible person can be assessed as reliable under weapons law,
    • if he or she has not been finally sentenced to at least 1 year's imprisonment within the last 10 years and has not been a member of or supported a banned organisation in the last 10 years.
    • if it cannot be assumed that it misuses or improperly handles weapons or ammunition, does not store such items diligently or leaves it to persons who are not entitled to do so.
    • if she has not been in preventive police custody more than once in the last 5 years with judicial authorisation for violence.
    • if she has notrepeatedly or grossly violated the law of arms.
  • The responsible person must prove his or her personal suitability.

    The responsible person can be considered personally unsuitable, inter alia, if
    • it is legally incapacitated.
    • she is dependent on alcohol or other intoxicating substances, mentally ill or debilitated.
    • she suffers from serious illnesses, such as brain injuries, or physical impairments, such as amputations or severe visual impairment.
    • it can be assumed that he cannot handle weapons or ammunition carefully or properly or that he cannot store these objects carefully or that there is a real risk that he endangers others or himself.
  • The responsible person must prove that he or she has sufficient knowledge of weapons and ammunition as well as how to handle them (expertise).

    In order to acquire the expertise in dealing with weapons and ammunition, she must participate in a corresponding course. The course includes a theoretical and practical part. At the end of the course, an examination is taken before an authorized examination board. If the test has been passed, the responsible person receives proof of the weapons and ammunition for which the expertise was acquired. The responsible person can also obtain expertise only for the weapons and ammunition that you wish to acquire and possess as a hunting association.

    The responsible person does not have to take a separate competence test if he/she
    • the hunter's examination or a similar examination, or
    • has passed a journeyman's examination for the gunsmith's trade or
    • has worked full-time in the trade in firearms and ammunition for at least 3 years.

In these cases, only appropriate evidence needs to be provided.

  • You must prove that you can safely store weapons and ammunition.

    This generally means that only the responsible person has access to weapons and ammunition, for example by carrying the key with him or her at all times or otherwise keeping it safe. If you do not keep your weapons and ammunition safe, you are committing an administrative offence for which a fine of up to EUR 10,000 can be imposed. In addition, the reliability of the responsible person under weapons law can be called into question and your gun ownership card can be withdrawn from you as a hunting association.

    When applying, you must provide information about both the storage location and the container in which you want to store weapons and ammunition. Basically, you can orient yourself to the following specifications:
    • Ammunition requiring authorisation must be stored in a sheet steel cabinet/container with a swing bolt lock.
    • In order to store long guns and handguns subject to authorisation as well as ammunition subject to authorisation, you need a gun safe. Which gun safe you need depends on the number and type of weapons and/or ammunition you want to purchase and own.
      • In a gun safe with resistance level 0 according to EN 1143-1 weighing up to 200 kilograms, you may store an unlimited number of long guns, up to 5 handguns and ammunition.
      • In a gun safe with resistance level 0 according to EN 1143-1 weighing over 200 kilograms, you may store an unlimited number of long guns, up to 10 handguns and ammunition.
      • In a gun safe with resistance level 1 according to EN 1143-1 you may store an unlimited number of long guns and handguns as well as ammunition.
    • For the place where you may set up the gun safe, the following rules apply:
      • If you live in an apartment building, it is not allowed to set up the gun cabinet in the basement if each resident has only one so-called basement shed, which is secured only with a door with a padlock.
      • You may also store up to 3 long guns in buildings that are not permanently inhabited, such as a hunting lodge or a weekend house. For this, however, you need a gun cabinet with resistance level 1.
      • If you live with another gun owner in a common household, you may store the weapons in a common gun safe.
    • As a hunter, you may temporarily have your long guns stored by another hunter in his gun cabinet. However, this time should be limited, permanent storage is not allowed. For permanent storage, you should buy your own gun safe, to which only you have access.
    • It is also allowed to store weapons and ammunition at an arms dealer. For this, you must provide appropriate proof.
  • Identity card or passport (copy)
  • Excerpt from the register of associations
  • Certificate of competence (responsible person)
  • Proof of storage, for example purchase contract for a gun safe and/or photos of gun cabinet and installation site
  • if applicable, specialist medical or psychological certificate of the mental aptitude of the responsible person (if under 21 years of age for sports shooters or under 25 years for other persons)

Please contact your county's gun department. If you live in Dessau-Roßlau, please also contact the weapons authority. If you live in Halle or Magdeburg, please contact the respective police department.

Online services available: not known

Forms available: unknown

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: No

You must apply for permission to acquire and possess weapons and/or ammunition subject to authorisation from the competent weapons authority. Submit the application together with the required documents.

The weapons authority will grant you permission if you meet the necessary requirements.

Bavarian State Ministry of the Interior, Sport and Integration

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found