jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Register your apartment


If you move into an apartment, you have to register with the registration office.

If you are under the age of 16, the registration is the responsibility of the person in whose apartment you are moving in. Newborns born in Germany are only to be registered if they are admitted to an apartment other than that of their parents or mother. If you are of legal age and a caregiver has been appointed for you who can determine the stay, he is responsible for the registration.

If you have several apartments in Germany, one of these apartments is your main residence.

Main residence is:

  • if you are married or in a civil partnership: the predominantly used apartment of the family or civil partnership. This also applies if you only live temporarily separated from your family or life partner.
  • if you are married or in civil partnership and permanently live apart: your predominantly used apartment.
  • if you are a minor: the predominantly used apartment of your parents or foster parents. If they live separately, the main residence is the apartment in which you mainly live.
  • Only if the predominantly used apartment cannot be determined beyond doubt, the focus of the life relationships must be taken into account. Indications for this are, for example, the type of housing, personal ties, social and local political activities as well as membership in associations and other organizations.

With each registration, you must inform the registration authority whether and if so, which other apartments you have in Germany and which of these apartments is your main residence.
When registering with the registration authority, you must submit a written confirmation from the landlord or a person commissioned by him (landlord's confirmation). Your landlord or a person commissioned by him can also confirm your move-in directly to the registration authority.

The confirmation of the landlord must contain the following data:

  1. the name and address of the landlord and, if he is not the owner, also the name of the owner,
  2. Move-in date,
  3. Address of the apartment and
  4. Names of persons required to report in accordance with § 17 paragraph 1 of the Federal Registration Act (BMG).

To register, you must complete and sign a registration form.
You will receive a written or electronic confirmation of the registration (official confirmation of registration) free of charge via your registration.

If, for certain reasons, you do not want personal data to be disclosed about you, in some cases you have the option of objecting to the disclosure. If the corresponding conditions are met, it may also be possible to apply for a blocking of information and transmission.

If you have moved into an apartment, you must register with the registration office within two weeks of moving in.

  • Registration form (may be made available by the municipalities for download or pre-filled)
  • Identity card and/or passport as proof of identity and to change the apartment details
  • Landlord confirmation or corresponding assignment characteristic

The following data or documents are additionally required by

  • Persons who have moved in from abroad: the last residential address in Germany (confirmation of registration, date of entry and exit)
  • Supervised persons: written power of attorney or supervisor card
  • Persons who cannot appear themselves: written power of attorney and identification documents of the person to be registered

Spouses, life partners and family members with the same immigration dates (date of arrival as well as previous and current apartments) should jointly use a registration form.
The competent authority may require the submission of further documents to prove the information (e.g. marriage certificate).

You are obliged to register with the registration office of your place of residence within two weeks of moving in.
Late registrations can be punished with a fine.

None (the registration form is issued directly at the registration office)

The registration authority of the city, municipality or association municipality in which you have moved is responsible.

Some registration authorities offer forms on the Internet.

  • Online procedure possible: basically no
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance necessary: basically yes

If the registration authority of your new place of residence has opened internet access for registration, you can register for this access by submitting the required information and using a qualified electronic signature in accordance with the Signature Act.

The personal appearance at the responsible registration authority is in principle mandatory.

Ministry of the Interior and Europe Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Nicolaiplatz 1
38855 Wernigerode, Stadt
+49 3943 654-339
Further Authorities
Stadt Wernigerode - 32.4 Bürgerinfo
Nicolaiplatz 1
38855 Wernigerode, Stadt
03943 654-330 bis 337
03943 654-399