jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a child-raising pension


The child-raising pension supports you as a single parent if your divorced spouse or partner dies. The pension thus serves as a substitute for maintenance and allows more attention to be paid to the upbringing of the children.

The child-raising pension is an annuity from your own retirement account. The amount corresponds to your pension as you would receive it if you were fully incapacitated. Your annual pension information will state the amount on which this is based. If your child-raising pension begins before the age limit applicable to you, you will have to accept deductions. For each month you retire earlier, the deduction is 0.3 percent, but no more than 10.8 percent in total.

If you receive the child-raising pension, you may have additional income (additional income). However, your income may be credited if you exceed an allowance. The amount of this allowance is calculated individually.

You can also receive the child-raising pension if your marriage or registered civil partnership still existed at the time of death and you as a couple had decided to share your pension entitlements in the so-called pension splitting.

You cannot receive a child-raising pension if you receive another, higher pension from the statutory pension insurance at the same time.

The child-raising pension ends at the end of the month in which the requirements cease to apply, for example if you remarry or if your child reaches the age of 18 and thus ends raising children, but at the latest when you reach the standard retirement age.

  • Your marriage or civil partnership was divorced, declared null and void or annulled after 30.06.1977 or, if the marriage was dissolved before 01.07.1977, the maintenance claim was based on GDR law
  • Your divorced marriage or partner has died.
  • You are raising your own child or a child of your former marriage or partner (including stepchild and foster child, grandchild or sibling) who is not yet 18 years old, or
  • You are raising a disabled person of your own or a child of your former marriage or partner (regardless of the age of the child).
  • They have not remarried and have not registered a new civil partnership.
  • You were covered by pension insurance for at least 5 years until the death of your divorced spouse or partner (general waiting period).
  • You have not yet reached the standard retirement age.
  • In the case of a marriage or civil partnership still in existence at the time of death: You have previously carried out pension splitting.

The general waiting period of 5 years includes:

  • contribution periods (compulsory and voluntary),
  • Replacement times,
  • child-rearing periods,
  • periods of pension equalisation and pension splitting between spouses,
  • periods of marginal employment with payment of contributions by the employer, and
  • Supplements to remuneration points for wages from marginal employment exempt from compulsory insurance.
  • Application for a survivor's pension
  • Identity document (e.g. identity card, passport, birth certificate or family register)
  • Death certificate of the partner
  • Marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
  • Proof of dissolution of marriage or registered civil partnership
  • Information about your income
  • last pension adjustment notification of the deceased or the deceased or other pension documents

There are no costs.

Your pension starts on the 1st of the calendar month at the beginning of which you meet the requirements if you apply within 3 calendar months.

If the application is submitted later, the pension will be paid to you from the calendar month in which the pension is claimed.

It usually takes up to 4 months to process.

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: No

Online services available: Yes

You can submit your application online, in person or in writing.

Online application:

  • On the website of the German Pension Insurance (DRV) under "Online services" you will find detailed information on the procedure.
  • If you follow the "Submit an application" link, you will be guided through the next steps and can select the desired application.
  • Alternatively, you can use the online services with registration. For example, you can immediately see which insurance periods have already been recorded. In addition, you save time and do not have to re-enter data that you already know.
  • Fill out the application completely and upload the required documents.
  • Submit your application online.
  • You will receive a confirmation of sending.
  • The responsible pension insurance institution will examine your application.
  • You will receive a notification of your application.

Personal application:

  • Gather the necessary documents for your application and make an appointment with the DRV.
  • When making an appointment online, your personal data and, if possible, your insurance number are required.
  • You can select a desired counselling centre and your desired date. Depending on the availability of free appointments, you will receive a proposal for a binding consultation appointment.
  • In your personal interview, your application will be recorded electronically and forwarded online to the responsible pension insurance institution.
  • The responsible pension insurance institution will examine your application.
  • You will receive a notification of your application.

Written application:

  • Go to the DRV website.
  • Download the desired application form.
  • You can also pick up the form in person at the information and advice centres.
  • Fill out the application form, sign it and attach the required documents.
  • Send all documents
    • by post to your pension insurance institution or
    • hand them in at one of the local counselling centres.
  • The responsible pension insurance institution will examine your application.
  • You will receive a notification of your application.

Your pension application can also be submitted for you by a person you trust. To do this, please submit a power of attorney to the pension insurance company. As long as the power of attorney is valid, the pension insurance is only addressed to the person authorized by you.

If you give your consent to electronic communication, all correspondence can be done online. Either use the electronic mailbox under the online services with registration or De-Mail.

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found