jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a loan or needs grant for training


During an (extra-)in-company training or, for example, a vocational preparation training measure, you can have a supplementary claim to unemployment benefit II. However, priority must be given to vocational training allowance or training allowance. The same applies if you are a student in a school education who receive benefits according to the BAföG. Even if you receive BAföG during your studies and live in the household of your parents, you can receive supplementary unemployment benefit II. The following services are therefore not relevant to you.

If you are studying and do not live with your parents, are in training and are not entitled to educational support under the BAföG (for example, due to exceeding the maximum duration of support or the age limit) or are accommodated in training and in the boarding school, the following benefits are eligible for you:

Services for additional requirements

Under certain conditions, you can apply for a subsidy for so-called additional needs in addition to the educational support (e.g. BAföG benefits). These include:

  • Additional needs for expectant mothers
  • Additional needs for single parents
  • Additional requirements for medically necessary cost-intensive nutrition
  • Additional requirements insofar as there is an irrefutable, ongoing, not only one-off special need in individual cases (for example, costs for the exercise of rights of access)

If you have income that exceeds your standard needs and the cost of your accommodation and heating, the excess amount reduces the benefit for the additional needs.

Initial equipment for pregnancy and childbirth

If you are pregnant or have given birth to a child, you are entitled to additional financial support for initial equipment, such as clothing or furniture. The condition is that you are in a financial emergency situation.

Hardship loans

In special cases of hardship, you can receive a loan during your training. This is possible if extraordinary, serious circumstances endanger your education and/or you find yourself in an emergency situation that threatens your existence.
You can receive a hardship loan if you do not receive BAföG or if your BAföG benefits are not sufficient to cover your living expenses and you are not able to remedy the situation by taking up employment.
You must repay the interest-free hardship loan after the training.

Hardship grant

If, as a pupil in a school education, you do not receive any support because you have exceeded certain age limits and are a case of hardship, you may be able to receive a subsidy if this is absolutely necessary for integration into working life. The grant may be paid for:

  • Control and additional requirements,
  • requirements for accommodation and heating,
  • Contributions to health and long-term care insurance.

The age limit for educational support is usually 30 years, further exceptions are possible.

Students cannot receive a hardship grant, but only a hardship loan.

Transitional loans

If you are already receiving basic security benefits and starting an apprenticeship, a transitional loan can be granted for the first month. This loan can help you bridge a financial gap until you receive your first training allowance or educational support. It prevents your start of training from being jeopardised. It is granted only for the first month of training and paid at the beginning of the month. The amount is based on unemployment benefit II.

You must repay the interest-free loan after training.

If you are in a financial emergency situation at the beginning or during your training, you can apply for benefits for trainees. The following applies:


  • As a trainee or trainee, you are not entitled to social benefits such as unemployment benefit II and
  • You are in a financial emergency situation and
  • You cannot pay for your own livelihood.

As a rule, the following can benefit from the services mentioned:

    • Students who do not live with their parents
    • Trainees who have reached the age limit according to § 10 paragraph 3 BAföG
    • Apprentices in vocational training or vocational preparation who are accommodated with full board
      • in a boarding school or
      • in a dormitory.
  • Apprentices with disabilities who are entitled to training allowances, for example during vocational training, pre-vocational training or basic training, and who are accommodated
    • in a boarding school,
    • in a dormitory or
    • in a special facility for people with disabilities,

if the costs for accommodation and meals are covered by the Employment Agency or another service provider.

Loans in general

  • Without a loan, the start of your education or its successful completion would be jeopardized for financial reasons.

Hardship loans

  • You are not able to earn through a part-time job, for example because
    • you are a single parent, or
    • you have a disability, or
    • you are caring for a relative or
    • your residence permit is not allowed in Germany.
  • They can be classified as a hardship case if extraordinary, serious circumstances endanger your education and/or you find yourself in an emergency situation that threatens your existence.

Hardship grant

  • You are at least 30 years old and can therefore no longer receive BAföG due to your age and
  • You are in a school education, without the completion of which your professional integration is seriously endangered, but you are not studying.
  • They can be classified as a hardship case if extraordinary, serious circumstances endanger your education and/or you find yourself in an emergency situation that threatens your existence.
  • Applications forms
  • Valid identity document:
    • Identity card or
    • valid passport with current registration certificate
    • Residence permit
  • Proof of income, such as a wage certificate or current bank statements (e.g. pensions, sick pay, child benefit, maintenance, maintenance advance, training allowance, Bafög)
  • Proof of training or studies (e.g. training certificate, certificate of enrolment)
  • Proof of existing assets (e.g. savings, shares, securities, home savings contracts)
  • Proof of expenses, for example by presenting bank statements (or, for example, rental agreement, rental receipts, heating costs, documents on insurance contributions)
  • Proof of earlier receipt of benefits, also at another job centre (approval notice, proof of achievement)

Application: Please note that you submit the application as soon as possible if you become aware of your financial hardship or announce yourself and not only afterwards.

  • Contradiction
  • Urgent proceedings before the Social Court
  • Action before the Social Court

Forms: yes
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance necessary: yes

You must apply for a loan or grant. The application is possible informally.

  • Ask the job centre responsible for your place of residence about the application procedure.
  • Benefits for additional requirements, such as unemployment benefit II, must be applied for. For this purpose, application forms are available, which you can pick up at the job center or have sent to you. The forms can also be found on the Internet.To apply for a loan, a hardship grant or initial equipment for pregnancy and childbirth, your responsible job center may use a separate application form. Your job centre will tell you which documents you need to submit for your particular case.
  • Fill out the application form.
  • If you are not yet of legal age, have a parent corrected person sign the application.
  • The job centre will check your application.The job centre will check your assets and income.
  • The job centre makes a decision on a case-by-case basis.
    • Hardship subsidy: The responsible placement specialist decides whether the requirements for a subsidy are met.
  • You will receive a notification as to whether your application has been approved or rejected.
  • If you are granted a loan, the job center will agree with you when and how to repay the money.

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found