jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Connection of a plot of land to the public drinking water supply


The public water supply is a mandatory task, which is in principle the responsibility of the municipalities within the framework of their self-government. They must supply the population and the commercial and other institutions in their territory with sufficient drinking and industrial water, but may also delegate these tasks to other bodies under public law (e.g. special-purpose associations). For the municipalities, own companies or private companies often also fulfil the tasks (e.g. municipal utilities).

There is no obligation on the part of the municipalities to provide services,

1. if the supply is not technically possible or because of the disproportionately high effort and
2. for the supply of process water, if it is reasonable for the consumer to restrict or otherwise cover this requirement.

If the water supply of the property is provided by public water supply systems, you must contact the municipality or the responsible water supply company if you have any questions.

Requirements for connection to the public water supply system and the purchase of water / drinking water are regulated in the water supply statutes of the respective municipality or the responsible special-purpose association. The technical prerequisites must exist or be able to be produced with reasonable effort.

As a rule, you must

  • be the owner of the land to be connected; Leaseholders or apartment owners are usually equal to the owner, and
  • the property must be located close to an operational public utility.

You must ask the respective municipality or .dem responsible special-purpose association which documents are required for the specific event. They have often published the corresponding water supply statutes and information on application documents on their homepage.

The municipalities charge fees for the public water supply. The amount of the fees is determined by each municipality or each special-purpose association/water supply association on the basis of a cost calculation under its own responsibility.

Detailed information on the water supply fees can be found in the statutes of the respective municipality or the responsible water supply association.

In addition to the quantity fee, a basic fee independent of the purchase quantity is usually charged on a regular basis. A follow-up fee may also be due under certain conditions. Further information on this is also available in the respective municipalities or at the responsible water supply association and in the corresponding contribution and fee statutes. Depending on the financing model chosen by your local authority, land and house connection costs may also arise.

no deadlines
The application must be submitted in good time (usually at least 8 weeks) before the planned connection. Further details are regulated by the water supply statutes of your municipality or your responsible special-purpose association.

see competent authority

Contact details of the responsible contact persons can be found on the website of the water supply company. For the service described here, this is the body responsible for connection in the company. Their e-mail address and telephone number are usually easy to find on the start page.

  • Forms: on the website of the respective special-purpose association / water supply association or the responsible municipality
  • If necessary, online procedure possible: depending on the responsible water supply company
  • Written form required: yes
  • personal appearance required: no

Check with your municipality or your special-purpose association / water supply association whether your property is close to an operational public water supply line. Then you can submit an application for the establishment of a drinking water connection. As a rule, the municipality has posted a corresponding application form on its website. Here you will be informed about the most important information and documents that must be submitted for the application. You can also obtain paper forms from the municipal, official or special-purpose association administration. Often an informal written application is sufficient. An installation company approved for your domestic water supply system must usually be involved in the application.
The municipality or the special-purpose association will inform you about the further procedure after the application has been submitted.

Ministry of Agriculture and Environment Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found