jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Passport replacement in case of loss of passport abroad


If you have lost your passport abroad or it has been stolen from you, you must obtain replacement travel documents for the journey home.

Depending on whether you want to return directly to Germany or enter other countries, either a travel document, which is only valid for entry into Germany, or a new passport must be issued.

Hint: Some countries require the entry stamp in their passport as proof of legal entry. In these cases, you may need to apply for an exit visa.

Submit all necessary documents.

  • Certificate of loss or theft report to the police
  • two current biometrics-compatible passport photos in passport format 45 x 35 mm
  • Proof of identity and nationality (e.g. identity card, copy of lost or stolen passport)

Tip: In order to be issued new travel documents more quickly, you should carry copies of all your identity documents with you on your trip.

  • for a travel document as a passport substitute for direct return to Germany: EUR 8.00
  • for a passport with 32 / 48 pages:
    • Persons who have reached the age of 24: EUR 81.00 /103.00
    • Persons under the age of 24: EUR 58.50 / 80.50
  • for a passport in the express procedure: additionally EUR 32.00 each
  • for a temporary passport: EUR 39.00
  • for a children's passport: EUR 26,00

Travel documents issued by the representations of other EU countries incur different fees.

Attention! The fees are collected by foreign missions exclusively in the respective local currency.


  • Travel document: duration of the trip, maximum one month
  • temporary passport: up to one year


  • Travel document: usually within a few hours
  • temporary passport: several days

Hints: In order to issue you with a temporary passport, the passport authority of your place of residence must grant the authorization. This can take different lengths of time depending on the individual case and the accessibility of the authority. If you also need an exit visa, the onward journey may be further delayed.

Please contact the German embassy, consulate general or consulate (honorary consuls are not entitled to issue) in the destination country.

Replacement travel documents will be issued to you upon request by the German mission abroad in the destination country. Visit the German embassy, consulate general or consulate with the required documents (honorary consuls are not entitled to issue).

Saxon State Ministry of the Interior

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found