jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a residence permit


If you want to enter and stay in Germany, you need a residence permit. The residence permit is the authorization to enter and stay in Germany.

There are currently 7 different types of residence permit:

  • Visa
  • residence permit
  • EU Blue Card
  • ICT card
  • Mobile ICT card
  • Settlement permit
  • Permit for permanent residence - EU.

The Residence Act provides for the following purposes of residence:

  • Education
  • gainful employment
  • international, humanitarian or political reasons
  • family reasons
  • special residence rights

Visas and residence permits can be issued for different purposes. The EU Blue Card, on the other hand, is a special residence permit for highly qualified employment. The ICT card is issued as a residence permit for company-internal transfers of employees outside the EU to an EU country. Holders of an ICT card can also be transferred within a company to Germany on a longer-term basis using the mobile ICT card If you enter Germany as an EU citizen, you only need a valid ID. For stays of more than 3 months, however, you must fulfill other requirements, e.g:

  • You are gainfully employed,
  • You have acquired a permanent right of residence or
  • You have sufficient health insurance cover and means of subsistence or
  • Your family member fulfills one of these requirements.

The requirements depend on the reason for your entry into Germany and which residence permit you wish to apply for.

Which documents are required depends on the applicable requirements. The decisive factor is therefore which residence permit you are applying for and for what purpose.

Different fees apply. Please enquire at your foreigners authority.

Foreign nationals who require a visa must apply for the residence permit required for further residence during the period of validity of the visa.

Foreign nationals who are exempt from the visa requirement must apply for the residence permit required for a longer-term stay within three months of entering the country.

The processing time depends on various factors. Please enquire at the office responsible for your residence permit.

The visa and the ICT card are issued by the foreign missions of the Federal Foreign Office. The competent foreigners authority or the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees will decide whether to issue the Mobile ICT Card. All other residence permits are issued by the foreigners authority responsible for your place of residence.

Who needs a residence permit for gainful employment?

Foreigners from countries that are not members of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland generally require a residence permit in order to reside and work in an employed capacity.

What are the exceptions to the residence permit?

Foreigners require a residence permit to enter and reside in the Federal Republic of Germany. EU citizens are exempt from this requirement. Further exceptions are regulated in the Residence Ordinance. For example, citizens of certain countries do not require a residence permit for stays of up to 90 days if they have a passport and do not wish to take up employment.

The specific legal basis depends on the specific residence permit

Ministry of the Interior and Sport Saxony-Anhalt

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found