jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit to look for a job after research activity


As a researcher, you have a legal right to a residence permit to look for a job. The residence permit will be issued to you for a maximum of 9 months in direct connection with your previous research activities. This makes it possible to find a job that matches your qualifications. The aim of the search can also be self-employment. This residence permit allows gainful employment without restriction.

You have carried out a research activity in Germany, completed it and had a valid residence permit for the purpose of research (§ 18d or § 18e AufenthG). Other general requirements for granting a residence permit are:
- a secure livelihood,
- a clarified identity,
- Possession of a valid national passport.

- Valid National Pass
- Proof of secure livelihood (e.g. employment contract and payslips, bank statements, submission of a declaration of commitment by third parties)
- Proof of health insurance
- Proof of qualification (certificate of completion, certificate or certificate from your university on the successful completion of a course of study
- 1 current biometric photo
- Please ask the immigration authority responsible for you whether you need to submit further documents

Fixed costs: Fee EUR 98,00

Application before the expiry of the current residence permit. An interview 4 to 6 weeks before the previous residence permit expires is recommended.

- The processing time may vary in the locally competent immigration authorities (about 5 to 6 weeks).

- Objection
Detailed information can be found in the decision with which your application was rejected.
- Administrative court action

Please contact the competent immigration authority.

- Forms: none
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: yes

You can only apply for a residence permit in person at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
- You submit the required documents in the original and pay the application fee.
- The Foreigners' Registration Office checks whether the conditions for grant are met.
- If all requirements are met, the Foreigners' Registration Office will record your biometric data (photo, fingerprints) and order the electronic residence permit (eAT) from Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
- As soon as the eAT is completed, it will be handed over to you by the Foreigners' Registration Office.

The legal basis, § 20 Para. 3 No. 2 Act on the Residence, Employment and Integration of Foreigners in The Federal Territory (AufenthG) can be found on the Internet on the following page


Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg
District Office Harburg
Fachamt Einwohnerwesen
Harburg Town Hall Square 1
21073 Hamburg, Germany
E-mail: bezirksamt@harburg.hamburg.de
fax: 040 427907600
Phone +49 40 428713849

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found