jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for permission to temporarily practice veterinary profession for veterinarians from EU member states


If you have completed training as a veterinarian, but do not have a license to practice medicine, and wish to practice the veterinary profession only temporarily, you need a permit.

The permit entitles you to use the professional title "veterinarian".

The permit can be limited to certain activities and employment positions.

It may only be granted or extended revocably and only up to a total duration of the veterinary activity of a maximum of 4 years.

In order to obtain a permit for temporary practice of the veterinary profession,

  • you must prove that you have completed training for the veterinary profession
  • you must not be guilty of any conduct that would render you unworthy or unreliable to practice as a veterinarian
  • you must not be unfit in health for the practice of veterinary medicine
  • you must have the German language skills required for the job at level B1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, and
  • you need proof of a specific job.

Alternatively to the proof of German language skills, it is possible to take a professional interview examination by the Ministry of Economy, Tourism, Agriculture and Forestry.

The following documents must be submitted:

  • Application for permission to temporarily practice veterinary profession,
  • proof of citizenship (certified copy of identity card, passport or proof of identity),
  • a proof of professional qualification (veterinary diploma, examination certificate or other veterinary qualification/training certificate),
  • if applicable, certified proof of asylum recognition, permit according to the Residence Act or possession of a naturalization guarantee
  • Signed curriculum vitae in tabular form: current, concise and with a detailed, chronologically complete description of the training path and professional career
  • Certificate of the future employer about the employment opportunity and justification (for example employment contract, needs assessment)
  • Proof of no criminal record, certificate of good conduct for submission to an authority (This proof may not be more than 3 months old at the time of application).
  • Medical certificate stating that you are fit to practice as a veterinarian (no official medical certificate required, this proof must be no more than 3 months old at the time of application).
  • In case of certificates in foreign language: Have the certificates translated by a publicly appointed and sworn translator.

The documents can be sent to the competent authority without any specific formal requirements.

The procedure costs money. The responsible office will inform you about the costs. The costs often depend on the effort required for processing.

Additional costs may arise (for example, for translations or certifications). These costs vary individually.

The costs of the procedure are based on the current General Fee Schedule of the State of Saxony-Anhalt (AllGO LSA).

The application must be submitted before you start working as a veterinarian.

A decision on the application will be made within 3 months of submission of the complete documentation.

You can take legal action against the decision of the responsible authority. The decision will then be reviewed. Details on this can be found in the appeal instructions at the end of your decision. We recommend that you first talk to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.

Please contact the Ministry of Economy, Tourism, Agriculture and Forestry.

  • For a permit to temporarily practice the veterinary profession, you must submit an application in writing or electronically to the competent body of the federal state in which the veterinary profession is to be practiced.
  • The competent body will decide on the permit after reviewing your documents.

The application for a temporary professional permit must be submitted in writing to the competent authority.

  • You must sign it by hand or provide a qualified electronic signature. The necessary forms are available for download or you can obtain them from the competent body.
  • The competent authority will notify you within 4 weeks whether your application is complete or whether you need to submit further documents.
  • You will receive a written decision on the temporary professional permit.

You may not work as a veterinarian until you have obtained permission. Without permission you are liable to prosecution.

If you work as a veterinarian in Saxony-Anhalt, you belong to the Saxony-Anhalt Chamber of Veterinarians.

As a member of the Chamber of Veterinary Surgeons, you must register with the Chamber when you start working. You must register within one month after you start working.

Ministry of Economics, Tourism, Agriculture and Forestry of the State of Saxony-Anhalt

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found