jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Requesting a certificate evaluation for a foreign university qualification


A transcript evaluation is an official document issued by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) which describes a foreign higher education qualification and certifies its professional and academic applicability.

A certificate evaluation from the ZAB is intended to facilitate your access to the German labor market with a foreign higher education qualification.

The certificate evaluation states the level of the German educational qualification to which your foreign qualification is comparable and also provides information on options for continuing your studies, the legal basis of the degree and the procedures for professional recognition. No legal claims can be derived from the certificate evaluation.

The certificate evaluation is issued in a short version and a long version, which you will receive together. The short version is intended as a supplement to your application documents and is intended to inform the employer or employment agency at a glance which German qualification corresponds to your foreign university degree. You can always use the long version if more detailed information is required.

Please note: The certificate evaluation is not a recognition, but a comparative classification.

Binding recognition is particularly necessary if you

  • have a place of residence in Germany and
  • wish to work in a regulated profession.

Your university degree must meet the following requirements in order to be assessed:

  • The degree certificates must be officially certified.
  • The degree must have been obtained at an institution that is recognized as a higher education institution according to the relevant criteria of the country of origin.
  • In the case of degrees awarded as part of a cross-border cooperation or with the involvement of several universities (so-called franchising), all participating institutions must be duly recognized or accredited as universities under the law of the country of origin. The quality of the degree must meet the requirements of all countries involved in the cooperation and be compatible with the higher education regulations of these countries.
  • In the case of degrees from countries in which the accreditation of study programs is mandatory, the completed study program must be accredited.

Thelist of the required documentscan be found on the ZAB website. The submission of the required documents depends on the country in which you obtained your university degree.

  • For issuing the certificate: EUR 200.00
  • For the issue of each additional certificate for multiple qualifications: EUR 100.00
  • For the reissue of a certificate (e.g. in the event of loss): EUR 100.00

Please contact the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB).

Apply for the assessment using the form from the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB), which will be sent to you by email after you have completed and submitted a web form online.

As the further procedure may vary depending on your country of origin, please check the website of the Central Office for Foreign Education for more information.

You will receive the certificate evaluation, which you can attach to your application documents, as a short version and as a long version after

  • your completed application has been received by the relevant office,
  • all required documents have been received and
  • you have paid the fees.

As an applicant with a foreign university entrance qualification, you should generally send your application directly to the university at which you wish to study.

In this case, a certificate assessment by the Central Office for Foreign Education is not required.

You must submit an application for the recognition of foreign higher education qualifications and professional qualifications. Binding recognition is particularly necessary if you

- have a place of residence in Germany and

- wish to work in a regulated profession.

The federal states of the Federal Republic of Germany have commissioned the ZAB with this task. The ZAB issues certificate assessments for higher education qualifications from all countries of the world.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found