jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Proof of professional suitability to manage a road passenger transport company


If you want to open a bus, cab or hire car company, you need a permit from the relevant authority. One requirement is your professional aptitude, which you usually prove by passing an examination. In Germany, you take the exam at your local Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK).

Depending on the type of your company, you will take the exam either for cab and hire car transport or for bus transport.

In the examination, you must provide evidence of the legal knowledge, commercial principles, knowledge of technical standards and regulations and road safety required to operate your company. You will also find a more detailed list in the orientation framework, which is linked in the further information.

You should prepare intensively for the exam, for example by attending a preparatory course or studying intensively on your own. However, there are no legal requirements for registering for the exam.

The examination consists of two written parts and, if applicable, an oral part. The examination result is determined by an examination board.

The examination is an overall examination consisting of two written parts and one oral part. At least 50 percent of the respective score must be achieved in both written parts in order to be admitted to the oral examination. The examination is passed if at least 50 percent of the points have also been achieved in the oral examination and at least 60 percent of the total number of points. Those who have achieved at least 50 percent of the achievable score in both written parts and at least 60 percent of the total score are exempt from the oral examination.

In certain cases, you can also be certified as suitable without taking the examination by means of transitional regulations. If you have completed training in the field of passenger transport that began before December 4, 2011, the Chamber of Industry and Commerce will issue you with a certificate upon request, even without taking the examination.

If you had already been working in a managerial position in a bus company for ten years before 2009, you can also be issued a certificate of aptitude on application without taking the examination. See also the information sheet in the further information section.

You can also prove your professional aptitude for taxi/rental car transport without taking an examination if you can provide evidence of at least three years' work in a corresponding company.

  • For examination registration: none
  • For proof through training: Completion of an apprenticeship started before 4.12.2011 as:
    • Rail and road transport clerk, specializing in passenger transport
    • Transportation specialist
    • Business economist (DAV) from the German Foreign Trade and Transport Academy in Bremen
    • Diplom-Betriebswirt/Diplom-Betriebswirtin in the Faculty of Economics I course Transport Economics and Logistics at Heilbronn University of Applied Sciences
    • Diplom-Verkehrsfachwirt/Diplom-Verkehrsfachwirtin at the Technical University of Dresden
    • Bachelor of Arts in Transport Business Administration and Logistics, specializing in Transport Logistics at Heilbronn University of Applied Sciences
  • For proof through professional experience:
    • For bus transportation: at least 10 years of management experience in a bus company
    • For cab transport: at least three years of management experience in a cab and rental car company
  • If suitable by examination: none
  • In case of suitability by degree:
    • Proof of the final examination
  • If qualified by professional experience:
    • Proof of your professional activities

The examination fee is based on the applicable fee schedule of the local Chamber of Industry and Commerce.

As a rule, you will receive notification of whether you have passed or failed the examination approximately two weeks after taking it.

  • In some federal states: Appeal
  • Administrative court proceedings
  • For more details, please refer to the notification of passing / failing the examination

Please contact your local Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK).

  • Forms: Registration for the examination or application for determination of professional suitability without examination
  • Online procedure possible: partially
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: yes, for the examination

To obtain proof of aptitude by examination, you must first register for the examination in writing or online at your local Chamber of Industry and Commerce. You must choose whether you want to take the examination for bus transportation or for taxi/rental car transportation.

  • The IHK will confirm your registration for the exam.
  • You will first successfully take the two written examinations.
  • After passing the written exam, you will take the oral exam.
  • Approximately 14 days after passing the exam, you will receive your certificate of professional qualification.

With the certificate, you can now apply for a permit to open your business with the relevant authorities.

To provide proof of professional suitability without taking the examinations, send your written application including all supporting documents to the IHK. After processing, you will receive your certificate by post.

Association of German Chambers of Industry and Commerce

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found