jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Register apartment


When you move into an apartment, you must register with the registration office.

If you are under the age of 16, you must register with the person whose home you are moving into. Newborns born in Germany only need to be registered if they move into a home other than that of their parents or mother. If you are of legal age and a guardian or caretaker has been appointed for you who can determine your residence, this person is responsible for registration.

If you have several residences in Germany, one of these residences is your main residence.

The main residence is

  • if you are married or in a civil partnership: the home primarily used by the family or civil partnership. This also applies if you are only temporarily separated from your family or partner.
  • if you are married or in a civil partnership and live apart permanently: Your predominantly used home.
  • if you are a minor: the home mainly used by your parents or foster parents. If they live separately, the main residence is the home in which you mainly live.
  • Only if the predominantly used home cannot be determined beyond doubt should the focus of the living relationships be taken into account. Indications for this are, for example, the type of home, personal ties, social and local political activities as well as membership in clubs and other organizations.

Each time you register, you must inform the registration authority whether you have any other homes in Germany and, if so, which of these homes is your main home.
When registering with the registration authority, you must submit written confirmation from your landlord or a person authorized by him/her (landlord confirmation). Your landlord or a person authorized by him/her can also confirm your move-in directly to the registration authority.

The confirmation from the landlord must contain the following data:

  1. Name and address of the landlord and, if the landlord is not the owner, also the name of the owner,
  2. date of moving in,
  3. address of the apartment and
  4. Names of the persons required to register in accordance with § 17 Paragraph 1 of the Federal Registration Act (BMG).

To register, you must complete and sign a registration form.
You will receive written or electronic confirmation of your registration free of charge (official registration confirmation).

If, for certain reasons, you do not want your personal data to be passed on, in some cases you have the option of objecting to it being passed on. If the relevant requirements are met, it may also be possible to apply for a block on the disclosure and transmission of information.

If you have moved into an apartment, you must register with the registration office within two weeks of moving in.

  • Registration form (may be provided by the municipalities for download or pre-filled)
  • Identity card and/or passport as proof of identity and to change the apartment details
  • Confirmation from the landlord or corresponding allocation feature

The following data or documents are also required from

  • persons moving in from abroad: the last residential address in Germany (registration confirmation, date of moving in and out)
  • Persons under guardianship: written power of attorney or guardian's identity card
  • Persons who cannot appear in person: written power of attorney and identification documents of the person to be registered

Spouses, life partners and family members with the same move-in dates (move-in date and previous and current residences) should use one registration form.
The competent authority may request the submission of further documents to verify the information (e.g. marriage certificate).

You are obliged to register with the registration office in your place of residence within two weeks of moving in.
Late registrations can be punished with a fine.

None (the registration form is issued directly at the registration office)

The registration office of the city, municipality or association of municipalities to which you have moved is responsible.

Some registration authorities offer forms on the Internet.

  • Online procedure possible: generally no
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: generally yes

If the registration office of your new place of residence has opened Internet access for registration, you can register via this access by submitting the required information and using a qualified electronic signature in accordance with the Digital Signature Act.

Personal appearance at the responsible registration office is mandatory.

Ministry of the Interior and Europe Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found