jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a marriage certificate


If you have married and need a new marriage certificate, you can apply for it at the registry office. To do so, please contact the registry office where you got married.

The marriage certificate proves the marriage of you to your spouse. It contains the first and last names at the time of the marriage and before, the place and date of birth of the spouses, the place and date of the marriage and the details of the religious community of the spouses.

You can obtain the marriage certificate in the following forms:

  • Marriage certificate
  • International Marriage Certificate
  • Certified register expression from the marriage register

A certified printout from the marriage register reflects all the data that the registry office has entered in connection with your marriage.

You will receive the certificate including any subsequent notarizations as a printout from the electronic register.

If the civil status data of the spouse change, for example due to a name change or a divorce of the marriage, the marriage entry is supplemented by a subsequent notarization. Upon request, a new marriage certificate can then be issued to you.

Marriage certificates contain personal data, so their issuance is subject to data protection restrictions:

  • You are eligible to apply under the following conditions:
    • You are at least 16 years old.
    • You are the spouse to whom the document refers.
    • They are the parents of the spouses.
    • You are the child of the spouses.
  • Other people, including closer relatives such as aunts and uncles, only receive a certificate if they can credibly demonstrate a legal interest, for example by writing to the probate court.
  • If the marriage was concluded abroad, you must first have it re-certified in Germany.

To apply for a marriage certificate, you will need:

  • Your identity card or passport (if you apply in writing, a copy, online you must authenticate yourself electronically with the new identity card)
  • in the case of application or collection by a representative: written power of attorney of the authorized person, his or her identity card or passport and the identity card or passport of the representative
  • for other persons, including close relatives such as aunts and uncles, proof of their legal interest, such as a letter from the probate court, a court judgment or an enforceable title

Costs may be incurred for the issuance of a marriage certificate. Please contact the responsible registry office.

  • Application for a court decision

As a rule, the registry office issues the marriage certificate, which keeps the marriage register with the marriage entry.

Online procedure possible:
Written form required:
Personal appearance in case of oral application required:

You can apply for the issuance of a marriage certificate in person or in writing.

Apply for a marriage certificate in person:

  • An appointment may be required for a personal application.
  • You must present your identity card or passport.
  • You pay the fee directly when applying at the registry office.
  • In addition to yourself, a person you trust may also order and pick up the certificate for you. In addition to a written power of attorney, she presents her identity card or passport (original or copy) and her own identity card or passport.

Request the issuance of a marriage certificate in writing:

  • Send an informal letter to the responsible registry office with the request to issue you with a marriage certificate.
  • Your letter should contain the following information:
    • Surname, first name
    • Your registration address
    • Place and date of marriage and, where appropriate, establishment of the civil partnership
    • if known: registry office and notarization number
    • the reason for the application
    • if necessary, further evidence, for example for the legal interest
  • Enclose a copy of your identity card or passport with the letter.
  • You will then receive a fee notice, as well as the marriage certificate.

Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found