jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for registration for car trailers


You apply for the registration of your motor vehicle trailer at the registration authority in whose area you have your place of residence or registered office. Motor vehicle trailers can be registered to private individuals and legal entities or companies as vehicle owners, i.e. also to:

  • Companies,
  • authorities or
  • associations.

Vehicle trailers are exempt from the registration requirement if they

  • are not used for journeys over 25 km/h and either
    • for agricultural or forestry purposes behind tractors or self-propelled machinery,
    • in the form of caravans and trailers in the fairground industry or
    • are used as mobile construction huts.

In addition, the following are exempt from registration without speed limit:

  • Working machines,
  • Special trailers for transporting sports equipment, animals for sports purposes or lifeboats,
  • fire department and civil protection trailers,
  • single-axle trailers behind motorcycles, mopeds and motorized medical chairs and
  • seat carts that are carried behind single-axle agricultural or forestry tractors or work machines.

Note: For a vehicle trailer that is already registered, provided it has not been taken out of service completely in the meantime, you only need to submit an application for re-registration in the event of a change of owner.

  • The trailer must correspond to an approved type or an individual approval must have been issued.
  • Motor vehicle liability insurance for your trailer
  • You must not have any outstanding fees and expenses from previous registration procedures.
    • Payment arrears over EUR 30.00: no registration until you have settled the debt
    • Payment arrears of less than EUR 30.00: registration at the discretion of the local competent authority
  • You must not have vehicle tax debts of EUR 5.00 or more. Default surcharges, interest and late payment penalties are also taken into account when calculating the amount.
  • for private individuals:
    • valid identity card or passport
  • for legal entities/companies:
    • Extract from the commercial register or
    • business registration or
    • extract from the register of associations
  • Registration certificate part II (if available, otherwise apply for a copy),
  • Certificate of conformity (abbreviation: COC) or
  • Original individual approval for the trailer,
  • Report on the successfully completed and valid main inspection,
  • electronic insurance confirmation

Costs are incurred.

Varies depending on the licensing office.

Your local licensing authority.

Forms: can be obtained from your local licensing authority

Online procedure possible: no

Written form required: no

Personal appearance required: no

You must apply for your registration in person:

  • Contact your local licensing authority for information on the required documents and forms.
  • If possible, make an appointment or, if available, use the online procedure.
  • Bring all the required documents and the relevant payment amount with you to your appointment.
  • Your documents will be checked directly on site.
  • If the check is positive, you will receive your loan during the appointment:
    • Your personal license plate,
    • the stamped license plates and
    • your registration documents.
  • There are usually private dealers not far from the registration office where you can have the license plate printed on a license plate immediately afterwards.

Note: You can also be represented by an authorized person. If you are not registered in Germany, you can only apply for the license plate if you name a person authorized to receive it.

Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found