jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a birth certificate for birth abroad


If you or a close family member were born abroad in ascending or descending lineage, you can apply for the subsequent certification of the birth in the birth register (formerly birth register) at the registry office in Germany.

You apply for certification at the registry office responsible for your German place of residence or the German place of residence of the person entitled to apply. If neither a current nor former German place of residence can be determined, you can apply for certification at your responsible German mission abroad or at the registry office Berlin I.

You are not obliged to have the birth certified retrospectively. Birth certificates from abroad are often recognized in Germany as long as their authenticity is beyond question.

However, the subsequent entry in the birth register can be advantageous, because the local registry office can then issue you with a German birth certificate. This means that you no longer have to have the foreign document translated and certified for future requests.

  • You have German citizenship, are stateless or a recognised refugee whose habitual residence is in Germany.
  • You apply for certification for
    • himself
    • Your child,
    • a parent or
    • Your spouse or partner.
  • Form Application for certification of a birth abroad in the birth register
  • foreign birth certificate with translation; if applicable, legalization or apostille
  • valid identity card, passport or travel document
  • Marriage and birth certificates of the parents of the person to whom the entry relates
  • naturalisation certificate or citizenship card, if applicable
  • if applicable, other documents with proof of authenticity and, if necessary, translation, depending on the individual case

You must submit all documents in the original.

There is no deadline.

Registry office at the German place of residence or residence of the person born abroad or entitled to apply

Federal Ministry of the Interior and Home Affairs (BMI)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found