jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for equivalence of occupations in the craft sector with professional qualifications from abroad


There are about 200 different professions in the craft sector in Germany.

For 41 professions in the skilled trades, you absolutely need a certain professional qualification. These are the "crafts subject to licensing". Only with the necessary professional qualification may you work permanently independently in these professions. Further regulations apply to these 41 regulated professions.

All other professions in the craft sector are not regulated. This means that if you want to work permanently in these professions, you do not need a specific professional qualification.
You do not have to have your foreign professional qualification recognised. However, you have the right to a recognition procedure. The procedure is called "equivalence determination". A determination of equivalence brings you advantages:

  • At the end of the procedure, you will receive a notice of equivalence. The notification is proof of your professional qualification.
  • The decision is an official and legally secure document. You and your employers can rely on the content.
  • The decision increases your chances on the job market. Employers can better assess their professional qualifications with the decision.

The regional chambers of crafts or the chambers of industry and commerce are responsible for determining equivalence in the craft sector.
The responsible authorities will advise you before the application is submitted and identify the right profession in the trades for you.


  • You have formal training in crafts from abroad.
  • You would like to work in Germany in the profession in question.

The competent authority will inform you which documents you need to submit. Important documents are generally:

  • Proof of identity (passport or identity card)
  • List in tabular form with your training and professional experience (CV)
  • Evidence of formal qualifications
  • Certificate of the nature and duration of the relevant professional practice
  • a declaration that you have not yet submitted an application for a declaration of equivalence
  • possibly proof that you want to work in Germany

The competent authority will inform you which documents you must submit in the original or as a certified copy.
You must present your documents in German. Translations must be carried out by publicly appointed or authorised translators.

The procedure costs money. The competent authority will inform you about the costs. The costs generally depend on the effort required for processing.

In addition, additional costs may be incurred (e.B. for translations or certification of your documents). These costs vary from person to person.

Sometimes documents are still missing in the procedure. The responsible authority will then inform you by when you have to submit the documents.

Please contact the Chamber of Crafts of Saxony-Anhalt.

  • Forms: Forms can be obtained from the competent authority.
  • Online procedure possible: Via the Point of Single Contact
  • Written form requirement: possibly
  • Personal appearance required: no


  • They submit a written "application for equivalence assessment" with the necessary documents to the competent authority.
  • For professional qualifications from the EU/EEA/Switzerland: You can submit the application and documents directly to the responsible body or to the Point of Single Contact. You can also submit the application electronically via the Point of Single Contact.
  • The competent authority then compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and checks the equivalence. If your professional qualification is equivalent, it will be recognised. You will receive the notice of equivalence (recognition notice) by post.
  • If your professional qualification is not equivalent, it will not be recognised. You will receive a notification of the differences between your foreign professional qualifications. With this decision, you can further qualify yourself in a targeted manner and later submit a new application for a declaration of equivalence.
  • You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority. The decision is then reviewed. We recommend that you first talk to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.
  • Qualification analysis
    You have completed formal training but cannot provide all the necessary documents? Then you may be allowed to go through a qualification analysis. This means that you can prove your professional skills in practice. The competent authorities will inform you.
  • Procedure for ethnic German repatriates
    As a ethnic German repatriate, you can either go through the recognition procedure according to the laws mentioned here or according to the Federal Displaced Persons Act. You can decide for yourself.

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found