jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Change of main residence


If you have more than one home in Germany and the status of your home has changed (main home is now used as a secondary home or secondary home is now used as the main home without there having been any move-in or move-out to a new home or from a previous home), then you are required to notify the relevant registration authority.

Main residence is:

  • If you are married or in a civil partnership: the predominantly used home of the family or civil partnership. This also applies if you are only temporarily living apart from your family or civil partner.
  • If you are married or in a civil partnership and live permanently separated: Your predominantly used home.
  • If you are a minor: the main home of your parents or foster parents. If they live separately, the main residence is the residence in which you mainly live.
  • Only if the predominantly used dwelling cannot be determined beyond doubt, the focus of the living relations is to be taken into account. Indications for this are, for example, the type of dwelling, personal ties, social and communal political activities as well as membership in clubs and other organisations.

At the same time, you are obliged to inform the registration office of any other residences (secondary residences) you have in Germany in addition to your main residence.

A secondary residence is any other residence in Germany. You can therefore have one main residence and several secondary residences.

You have several residences in Germany.

Your previous main residence is used by you as a secondary residence or your previous secondary residence is used as your main residence.

Please bring a personal document (e.g. identity card or passport as proof of identity and to change the apartment details).

You are obliged to notify the relevant registration office of the change of status of your residence within two weeks.

The period begins with the day on which a change of the previous residence has taken place.

none (the change of status is entered directly in the population register at the registration office)

Contact the registration authority of your municipality or independent city.

Some registration authorities offer forms on the Internet.

  • Online procedure possible: generally no
  • Written form required: possible
  • Personal appearance required: in principle yes

If the registration office of your place of residence has opened Internet access for registration matters, you can transmit the required information via this access using a qualified electronic signature in accordance with the Signature Act.

It is compulsory to appear in person at the relevant registration office.

Ministry of the Interior and Europe Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found