jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit to work as a civil servant for a German employer


If you are employed as a civil servant by a German employer, you are entitled to a residence permit to fulfill your official duties in Germany.

In particular, university lecturers and other members of academic and artistic staff who have been appointed as civil servants can obtain a residence permit.

The residence permit is issued for a period of three years, unless a shorter period is planned for your stay in Germany.

The Federal Employment Agency does not need to be involved in issuing the residence permit.

Under certain circumstances, you may be required by the immigration authority to attend an integration course. This will then be noted on your residence permit.

If you receive a residence permit to carry out official duties with a German employer, you have the option of obtaining a permanent residence permit (settlement permit) after just three years. The requirement of having paid at least 60 months of contributions to the statutory pension insurance is waived.

German employers who wish to bring a foreign civil servant from abroad to Germany to perform official duties can apply for the accelerated skilled worker procedure at the foreigners authority on behalf of the foreigner, which can facilitate and accelerate entry.

EU citizens who are employed as civil servants by a German employer are not subject to the Residence Act, but to the Freedom of Movement Act/EU.

  • You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute and - if required for entry - an appropriate visa.
  • There is no interest in deporting you.
  • Your stay does not jeopardize or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You are employed as a civil servant by a German employer and are expected to fulfill official duties in Germany.
  • Valid passport
  • Original of your certificate of appointment/appointment
  • Current biometric photo
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Tenancy agreement
  • In addition
  • if you have recently entered the country:
  • Visa, if this was required for entry

and in the case of a previous stay:

  • Current residence permit

Further documents are required for the accelerated skilled worker procedure. Please contact the relevant immigration authority for this.

Issuing a residence permit: EUR 100.00

Amendment of an existing residence permit to obtain a residence permit for the purpose of employment as a civil servant with a German employer (change of purpose): EUR 98.00

Under certain circumstances, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be possible.

Note: The residence permit is issued as an electronic residence permit. The fee for reissuing the card body is EUR 67.00.

  • The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before your valid visa or residence permit expires.
  • The residence permit is issued for a period of three years if the employment in Germany is not limited to a shorter period.
  • Objection period: 1 month

about six to eight weeks

The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence;

For the accelerated procedure for skilled workers:

Foreigners' Registration Office at the place of employment, unless a central office has been set up to carry out the procedure

  • Online procedure occasionally possible
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: yes

You must apply for a residence permit at the foreigners authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the foreigners authority and your request, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your foreigners authority offers electronic applications for residence permits.
    In the case of an electronic application, the foreigners authority will contact you after receiving your application to arrange an appointment at the foreigners authority. Your supporting documents will be checked during the appointment (bring them with you to the appointment).
  • If the application can only be submitted in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
    During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your supporting documents will be checked (bring these with you to the appointment).
  • Your fingerprints will be taken at the immigration office to renew your electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can collect the eAT card from the Foreigners' Registration Office. You must always collect it in person.
  • Fees are charged for the issue of the residence permit. The time and form of payment vary depending on the authority.

To carry out the accelerated procedure for skilled workers, the German employer must contact the immigration authority responsible for the place of employment. A central office may have been set up in the federal state to carry out the procedure.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs

of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found