jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for subsequent certification of a marriage concluded abroad


A marriage concluded abroad is recognized here if the regulations applicable in the country of marriage were observed and the marriage was concluded before a legally authorized person. The marriage certificate generally serves as proof of this. If the certificate was not drawn up in German, a translation is required in many cases. There is no obligation to apply for subsequent certification. But of course this has advantages: you can have a marriage certificate issued by us at any time if your foreign certificate is lost and you have a German certificate as proof of your marriage, which makes it easier to deal with authorities and other institutions.

  • The marriage was concluded abroad and at least one of the partners has German nationality.
  • Neither of the partners has a domicile or habitual residence in Germany.
  • Marriage certificate (marriage certificate) of the marriage concluded abroad, if necessary with certification by the competent foreign authority (apostille) or legalization by the German diplomatic mission abroad
  • Valid identity card, passport or travel document
  • Certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship, if applicable
  • If the spouses were born in Germany
  • certified copies of the birth registers from the registry offices of the places of birth.
  • If the spouses were born abroad:
  • the birth certificates with certification by the competent foreign authority (apostille) or legalization by the German diplomatic mission abroad
  • If one spouse has been married before
  • Certified copy from the marriage register of the last previous marriage with a note of dissolution.
  • Alternatively or in the case of previous marriages abroad: Proof of the conclusion and dissolution of all previous marriages - for example marriage certificates, death certificates, all divorce decrees (complete and with a note from the court stating when the judgment became legally binding ("final judgment"))
  • Recognition of the foreign divorce by the President of the Higher Regional Court, if applicable
  • If one spouse has already entered into a registered civil partnership:
    • Proof of the establishment and dissolution of all civil partnerships
  • Translations of all documents in foreign languages by sworn translators in Germany
  • Further documents may be required in individual cases.
  • 89.00 EUR Notarization of marriage abroad
  • 33.00 EUR Declaration of name if only German law is to be observed
  • 57.00 EUR Declaration on the use of names if foreign law is also to be observed
  • 38.00 EUR Alignment of names, if applicable
  • 30.00 EUR Affidavit in lieu of an oath, if applicable
  • 12.00 EUR Issue of a marriage certificate
  • EUR 6.00 for each additional marriage certificate applied for at the same time
  • A marriage concluded abroad can be subsequently notarized; the date of the marriage is irrelevant.
  • Only the spouses themselves can apply for the marriage to be notarized during their lifetime.
  • After the death of both spouses, their parents and children are also entitled to apply.

Please contact the registry office 1 in Berlin.

  • Senator for Internal Affairs, Department 23 - Civil Status Law, of the State of Bremen

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found