jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a change of surname at ethnic German repatriates


As a displaced person or ethnic German repatriate, you, your spouse or your descendants can discard components of your previous name if these are not common in Germany. You can also take the original form of a modified name. This applies to names that have been modified according to gender or kinship.

Furthermore, you can also take German-language forms of your first or last name. If there are no such German-language forms, you can also adopt new first names.

If you are married, you can also determine a common family name or take your family name in a German translation.

  • Acquisition of the name under German law. Your name or parts of your name are unknown under German law
  • Displaced person or ethnic German repatriate or a spouse or descendant
  • Identity card or passport
  • Birth certificate with official translation
  • Registration form
  • if available:
    • Spätaussiedlerbescheinigung
    • Displaced persons' card

Additional documentation may be required in your specific case. To find out, it is best to call your registry office beforehand.

The declaration of the name is free of charge. Fees may apply for the certificate of the name change.

Please contact the registry office.

You can call in an interpreter at your expense.

no technical approval

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found