jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for recognition as a specialist dentist with a professional qualification from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland


The profession of specialist dentist is regulated in Germany. This means that you need a permit if you want to use the designation "specialist dentist" for your specialization in the selected federal state.

With the training as a specialist dentist, you have acquired a medical specialization for your qualification as a dentist abroad. To work as a dentist in Germany, you first need a license to practice medicine or a professional license. In order to be able to work as a specialist dentist in Germany, you must also apply for recognition of your further training as a specialist dentist. This allows you to use the designation "specialist dentist" in your respective specialisation.

Note: You may only use the designation for your specialization if there is a corresponding continuing education designation in Germany as well.

The permission is granted by the competent state dental association after examination of your documents and requirements.

  • You must already have a state professional license (approbation) as a dentist or a professional license valid in Germany.
  • If your degree is not automatically recognised, you must prove the equivalence of your professional qualification as a specialist dentist.
  • Curriculum vitae with information on completed further training and professional experience
  • Proof of identity (identity card or passport)
  • Proof of German approbation or professional license and proof of the equivalent level of training
  • Continuing education certificates and certificates of professional practice
  • Written declaration as to whether you have already submitted an application for recognition to another medical association

You only need to submit the following documents if your professional qualification was completed before a certain date (deadline). The competent authority will inform you:

  • Certificate
  • Proof that you have actually and lawfully practised the profession for at least 3 consecutive years during the last 5 years before the certificate is issued.

If your documents are not available in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. Translations must be carried out by translators who have been publicly appointed or authorised.

There are no deadlines.

Duration (for fixed time): 3

Note for further information on the processing time: You will receive the acknowledgement of receipt within one month of submitting your application. The competent authority will inform you if documents are missing. No later than 3 months after receipt of your complete documents, your application will be decided. The deadline may be extended by one month.

  • Contradiction
  • Further information on how to file an objection can be found in the notification of your application
  • Action before the Administrative Court

Please contact the Dental Association of Saxony-Anhalt.

Forms available: Yes

Before you submit the application, you must already have a license to practice dentistry or a professional license in Germany.

You can apply for the recognition of your further training title as a specialist dentist at the responsible state dental association:

  • First, submit your application and the required documents to the Dental Association of the state in which you want to work.
  • If necessary, you will be asked to submit missing documents.
  • The automatic recognition procedure often applies. This means that your professional qualification will be recognised without an individual equivalence test.
  • If you started your training before the EU/EEA accession of your training country, you must prove that your professional qualification meets the minimum standards of the EU ("Certificate of Conformity"). This is certified by the competent authority of your training state. If your professional qualification does not meet the minimum standards, you must prove your professional experience. To do this, you must have worked in the profession for 3 consecutive years in the country of origin in the last 5 years before the application.
  • If your professional qualification is not automatically recognised, your training must be reviewed individually. The competent authority will then check whether your professional qualification is equivalent. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.
  • If your qualification as a specialist dentist is recognised, you can work in the profession in Germany. You will receive a notification.

If significant differences are detected, you will not be certified as equivalent to your qualification as a specialist dentist:

  • You will receive a justification.
  • You can take an aptitude test to prove the missing knowledge.
  • If you successfully pass the aptitude test, you will receive the recognition. You may then use the designation "specialist dentist" for your specialisation.

You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority within a certain period of time (for example, lodge an objection). The decision is then reviewed. Details can be found in the notice of appeal at the end of your decision. We recommend that you first talk to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision

Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs, Health and Equality of the State of Saxony-Anhalt
  • There are many consulting services. These can be found on the portal Recognition in Germany.
  • Let an IQ counselling centre advise you personally on this procedure and your qualifications. The consultants will also help you with your documents before the application is submitted. The consultation is free of charge.
  • You can also call the hotline of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees. The hotline answers your questions about "Working and living in Germany".
    Phone number: +49 30 1815-1111
    Monday to Friday 08:00 – 18:00 (CET)

  • If you are abroad: You can also reach the Central Service Centre for Professional Recognition (ZSBA) via the hotline. This offers you in-depth advice and support in the recognition process and carries out a location consultation.

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found