jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for an extension of the residence permit for the family reunification of a foreign child to a German parent


As a legal representative, you can apply for the extension of the residence permit for a foreign minor unmarried child so that the child can continue to live with you in Germany.

Please note that your child must not be married, divorced or widowed. Minor means that he or she has not yet reached the age of 18.

The establishment of a family relationship between you and the child is a prerequisite for obtaining a residence permit. This must be intentional and actually possible. If you as a parent have custody, the intention and possibility of establishing the family cohabitation can usually be assumed. However, it is not necessarily necessary that you are entitled to exercise personal care. However, paternity or maternity to the minor child must be proven.

If only the father is German, there must be an effective acknowledgement of paternity.

If the child has already been in possession of a residence permit for three years, an application for a settlement permit may be considered.

If the child has now reached the age of 18, the child can receive an independent right of residence independent of family reunification.

  • A parent with custody has German citizenship.
  • The child has a valid identity document.
  • The child is a minor at the time of application, neither married, divorced nor widowed.
  • The German parent has his or her habitual residence in Germany.
  • The German parent is still actually and legally willing and able to maintain a family relationship with the child. This is assumed if personal custody of the child continues. However, personal custody is not a prerequisite for the extension of the residence permit.
  • There is no ground for expulsion against the child.
  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute) of the child and the German parent
  • Current biometric photo of the child in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
  • Proof of acknowledgement of paternity if parents are not married and join the German father.
  • If a parent with custody remains abroad:
    • proof of custody,
    • Declaration of consent from the parent living abroad.
  • The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or further proof.


  • 48,00 for a further stay of up to three months
  • 46,50 for a further stay of more than three months


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit, which can also be used as an electronic proof of identity.

Application deadline: 6 to 8

Remark (for more information on the deadline):

The application should be received by the Foreigners' Registration Office no later than six to eight before the expiry of the child's valid residence permit.

Duration: at least 1


The residence permit is extended for a limited period. After three years of holding the residence permit, a settlement permit can be applied for.

If the child has now reached the age of majority (i.e. has reached the age of 18), the child can receive an independent right of residence independent of family reunification.

Duration: approx. 6 to 8

Note for further information on processing time:

It takes about four to six weeks for Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit

  • Appeal against the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office
  • Action before the court named in the notice of opposition if the objection is not complied with

The immigration authority responsible for the place of residence of the applicant.

Forms available: No

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: Yes

  • The extension of the residence permit must be applied for for the child before the validity of the current residence permit expires.
  • Find out whether the competent immigration authority allows the application to be submitted online or has a special application form.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of the application to make an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and the identity of the child as well as the available documents will be checked (please bring all documents, if possible in the original, to the appointment).
  • If your request is granted, the child's fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence title (eAT card for short). Children under six years of age are not fingerprinted
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions Bundesdruckerei to produce the eAT card. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card from the responsible office. The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
  • The extension of the child's residence permit must be applied for in good time before the validity of the current residence permit expires.
  • Please make sure that your information is correct and complete to the best of your knowledge and belief. This is the only way the Foreigners' Registration Office can process your request without major delays.
  • Inaccurate or incomplete information may slow down the process and be detrimental to you. In an emergency, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the immigration authority may result in the withdrawal of residence rights already granted, a fine, imprisonment of up to three years or expulsion from the federal territory.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found