jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for recognition as a specialist veterinarian with a professional qualification from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland


The qualification as a specialist veterinarian must be recognised in Germany. This means that you need recognition if you want to use the title "specialist veterinarian" for your specialisation in the selected federal state.

With your training as a specialist veterinarian, you have acquired a medical specialisation in addition to your qualification as a veterinarian abroad. To work as a veterinarian in Germany, you first need a license to practice medicine or a professional license. In order to be able to work as a specialist veterinarian in Germany, you must also apply for recognition of your further training as a specialist veterinarian. This allows you to use the title "specialist veterinarian" in your respective specialisation.

Note: You may only use the designation for your specialization if there is a corresponding continuing education title in Germany.

The permission will be granted by the competent State Chamber of Veterinarians after checking your documents and requirements.

  • You must already have a state professional license (approbation) as a veterinarian valid in Germany or a professional license.
  • You must prove the equivalence of your professional qualification as a specialist veterinarian.
  • CV in tabular form with information on completed further training and professional experience
  • Proof of identity (identity card or passport)
  • Proof of German license to practice medicine or professional license and proof of equivalent level of education
  • Certificates of further training and certificates of professional practice
  • Written declaration as to whether you have already submitted an application for recognition to another veterinary association

If your documents are not available in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. The translations must be made by translators who are publicly appointed or authorised.

Quarter of an hour or part thereof: EUR 15.00

There is no deadline.

  • Contradiction
  • Further information on how to file an objection can be found in the notification of your application
  • Action before the Administrative Court

Veterinary Association of Saxony-Anhalt

Forms available: No

You must submit the application in writing and on German. The competent authority may order that you must appear in person.

Before you submit the application, you must already have a license to practice veterinary medicine or a professional license in Germany.

You apply for recognition of your continuing education title as a specialist veterinarian at the competent State Chamber of Veterinarians:

  • First, submit your application and the required documents to the veterinary association of the federal state in which you would like to work.
  • If necessary, you will be asked to submit missing documents.
  • The competent authority will check whether your professional qualification is equivalent. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.
  • If your qualification as a specialist veterinarian is recognised, you can use the specialist title in Germany. You will receive a notification.

If significant differences are found, the equivalence of your specialist veterinary qualification will not be certified:

  • You will receive a justification.
  • You can take an adaptation period or an aptitude test to prove the lack of knowledge.
  • If you successfully complete the adaptation period or the aptitude test, you will receive recognition. You may then use the title "specialist veterinarian" for your specialisation.

You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority within a certain period of time (for example, file an objection). The decision will then be reviewed. Details can be found in the information on the right of appeal at the end of your decision. We recommend that you first talk to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.

Ministry of Economic Affairs, Tourism, Agriculture and Forestry Saxony-Anhalt

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found