jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a residence permit for conditional admission to study or part-time studies


The residence permit for the purpose of fulfilling conditions before commencing studies in Germany is a temporary residence permit.

In detail, the residence permit can be issued if:

1. you have been admitted to full-time study by a state university, a state-recognised university or a comparable educational institution, but admission is subject to a condition that is not aimed at attending a preparatory course (for example, admission to the Master's programme is linked to the submission of proof of completion of the Bachelor's programme);

2. you have been admitted to full-time study by a state university, a state-recognised university or a comparable educational institution, but admission is subject to the condition that you must first attend a preparatory college or a comparable institution. It is also possible to grant it if you are not yet able to provide proof of admission to a preparatory college or comparable institution;

3. you have been admitted to part-time study by a state university, a state-recognised university or a comparable educational institution;

4. you have been accepted to participate in a preparatory language course without already being admitted to a higher education institution; or

5. You have received a confirmation from a company to complete a preparatory internship.

When deciding on the granting of a residence permit for the above-mentioned purposes, the Foreigners' Registration Office may obtain and take into account the opinions of the university or other institutions approved for training or further education in matters relating to the study requirements, the course of studies, the degree and other academic matters.

If you have not yet reached the age of 18, the persons entitled to personal custody must agree to your stay in Germany.

  • You would like to stay in Germany in order to take up full-time studies after fulfilling a condition, to study part-time or to take part in a preparatory language course or internship in preparation for a course of study.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage for the duration of your stay from your own resources without using public services.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Their stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute)
  • Visa, if required for entry
  • In the case of a previous stay in Germany: Current residence document (e.g. residence permit)
  • Up-to-date biometric photo in the passport (45 x 35 mm)
  • Proof of conditional admission to studies, enrolment or admission to a preparatory language course or internship
  • Proof of securing a livelihood (e.g. from one's own assets, payment of a security deposit into a blocked account, bank guarantee, declaration of commitment, scholarship, proof of receipt of benefits such as parents or child benefit, proof of parents' income or similar)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage (e.g. confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy)
  • In the case of conditional admission to studies or enrolment, proof of the language skills required for the specific course of study may be required
  • In the case of minors: consent of all persons with custody to the planned stay (declaration of consent); if the parents with custody are unable to submit the application jointly for their child, a written power of attorney from the absent parent is required; if custody is granted to only one parent, the signature of that parent is sufficient

The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or more evidence.

  • 100,00 Euro for adult applicants
  • 50,00 Euro for underage applicants


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of a residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

The timing and form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.

In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may be considered (e.g. for persons entitled to asylum or recognised refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.

Application deadline:

6 weeks to 8 weeks

Note (for more information on validity):

The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your visa or residence permit, which is still valid.

Duration (at range): 1 year to 2 years

Note (for more information on the deadline):

The residence permit is issued for at least one year. They shall not be valid for more than two years at the time of first grant.

In the case of participation in a Union or multilateral programme with mobility measures (e.g. ERASMUS+ programme of the European Union) or if the applicant is subject to an agreement between two or more higher education institutions, the residence permit shall be issued for at least two years.

If the course lasts less than two years, it is granted for the duration of the study.

An extension must be applied for at the Foreigners' Registration Office in good time before the validity expires. As a rule, a stay of ten years is considered an upper limit for the length of stay.

approx. 6 weeks to 8 weeks

Note for further information on processing time:

The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

It takes about 4 to 6 weeks for Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit.

  • Objection to the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office within one month of notification
  • Bringing an action before the court named in the notice of opposition if the objection is not upheld

Foreigners' Registration Office

Forms available: No

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: Yes

  • Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you are not allowed to submit the application yourself, but need a representative (as a rule, the application is made by the parents with custody).
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you must be accompanied by at least one representative during the personal interview. If the parents with custody are unable to appear in person, a written power of attorney must be provided for the application.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, with you to the appointment).
  • If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken in the form of an electronic residence permit (eAT card) for the production of the residence permit.
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions the production of the eAT card from Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card from the responsible office. The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
  • You are not entitled to a residence permit. It is at the discretion of the Foreigners' Registration Office to grant the residence permit.
  • The residence permit entitles the holder to work during the holiday season and to carry out the internship. This restriction is usually included in the title as an ancillary provision.
  • Preparation for studies includes, in particular, German courses as well as attendance at preparatory colleges or similar institutions.
  • The procedure at the Foreigners' Registration Office is usually carried out in German.
  • All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of our knowledge and belief so that the request can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be detrimental to the persons concerned. In the event of an emergency, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Foreigners' Registration Office may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, imprisonment of up to three years or expulsion from the federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found