jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for an extension of the residence permit for the search for a training place in order to carry out qualified vocational training


If you have not yet reached the age of 25 and want to complete qualified vocational training in Germany, but have still not found an apprenticeship, you can obtain an extension of your residence permit to seek training if you meet certain requirements.

Make sure that the residence permit is issued for a maximum of six months. An extension of your residence permit is only possible if this 6-month period has not yet been exhausted. The extension must be applied for in good time before the end of the validity of your previous residence permit.

If you have already been in possession of a six-month residence permit, the residence permit can only be issued again if you have stayed abroad for at least as long as you previously stayed in Germany to seek training.

The residence permit is again issued for a limited period of time, but for a maximum period of validity of six months.

In principle, the same conditions must be met for the extension of the residence permit as for the first issuance of the residence permit. That is:

  • They are still looking for a training place to carry out qualified vocational training (vocational training in a state-recognised or comparably regulated training occupation for which a training period of at least two years is specified).
  • This total period of validity of your residence permit of six months has not yet been exhausted. Alternatively, you have stayed abroad for at least as long as you were previously in Germany on the basis of your residence permit.
  • You have not yet reached the age of 25 at the time of application.
  • You have a good knowledge of German at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
  • You have one of the following school-leaving qualifications:
    • Graduation from a German school abroad: The qualification obtained at a German school abroad must be a secondary school leaving certificate (e.g. lower secondary school leaving certificate, secondary school leaving certificate, entitlement to transition to the upper secondary school, technical college entrance examination, university entrance qualification examination or foreign school leaving certificate entitling the holder to study in Germany or at least to study in the country in which the German school abroad is based).
    • School-leaving certificate entitling the holder to enter higher education in the Federal Republic of Germany: This can be a German school-leaving certificate obtained in Germany or a foreign school-leaving certificate. The decisive factor is that the school-leaving certificate entitles the holder to enter higher education (university and university of applied sciences) in Germany.
    • School-leaving certificate entitling the holder to enter higher education in the country in which the school-leaving certificate was obtained: this is to be determined using the anabin database. If the degree is listed in the anabin database, a formal examination of the certificate is not required. Only if the degree is not listed in the anabin database can it be checked in individual cases by means of an individual examination by the competent certificate recognition offices of the federal states.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your own resources without using public services.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.

In principle, the extension of your residence permit requires the submission of the same documents as for the first issue:

  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute)
  • Up-to-date biometric photo in the passport (45 x 35 mm)
  • Proof of securing one's livelihood (e.g. from one's own assets, payment of a security deposit into a blocked account, bank guarantee, declaration of commitment, scholarship, donations from third parties)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage (e.g. confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy).
  • Proof of active search for an apprenticeship.
  • In the case of minors: consent of all persons with custody to the planned stay (declaration of consent); if the parents with custody are unable to submit the application jointly for their child, a written power of attorney from the absent parent is required; if custody is granted to only one parent, the signature of that parent is sufficient
  • Proof of German language skills at level B2 (e.g. language certificate)
  • Proof of school-leaving certificate entitling the holder to enter higher education.
  • Proof of departure and the duration of the stay abroad

The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or more evidence.

Cost amount (fixed):

  • 96.00 for a further stay of up to three months
  • EUR 48.00 for underage applicants for a further stay of up to three months
  • 93.00 for a further stay of more than three months
  • EUR 46.50 for underage applicants for a further stay of more than three months


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of a new residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

The timing and form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.

In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may be considered (e.g. for persons entitled to asylum or recognised refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.

Application Deadline

Duration (at span): 6 to 8

Note (for more information on the deadline):

At least six weeks to eight weeks before the expiry of the current residence permit, the application should be received by the Foreigners' Registration Office.

Duration (with fixed time): maximum 6

Note (for more information on the deadline):

The residence permit will again be limited in time, but for a maximum period of six months.

Duration (at span): approx. 6 to 8

Note for further information on processing time:

The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

It takes about 4 weeks to 6 weeks for Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit.

  • Objection to the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office within one month of notification
  • Bringing an action before the court named in the notice of opposition if the objection is not upheld

the immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence

Forms available: No

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: Yes

  • Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you are not allowed to submit the application yourself, but need a representative (as a rule, the application is made by the parents with custody).
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you must be accompanied by at least one legal representative (usually a parent) at the personal interview. In the case of joint custody, the parents must always appear together at the authority and submit the application for you together. If one parent is unable to appear in person, the other parent with custody must be issued with a written power of attorney for the application.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, with you to the appointment).
  • If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken in the form of a new electronic residence permit (eATKarte) for the production of the residence permit.
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions the production of the eAT card from Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card from the responsible office. The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
  • The extension of the residence permit is at the discretion of the competent immigration authority. Applicants are therefore only entitled to a decision free of errors of discretion.
  • During the possession of the residence permit, gainful employment is not permitted.
  • If the search for a training place is terminated, a change of purpose of residence is usually only possible to employment as a skilled worker in accordance with §§ 18a (skilled workers with vocational training) or § 18b (skilled workers with academic training) of the Residence Act and in cases of a legal entitlement (for example, for the purpose of studying). This does not affect the possibility of changing to a residence for the purpose of qualified vocational training (§ 16a Residence Act) after the successful completion of the search.
  • The procedure is usually carried out in German.
  • All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of our knowledge and belief so that the request can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be detrimental to the persons concerned. In the event of an emergency, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Foreigners' Registration Office may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, imprisonment of up to three years or expulsion from the federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found