jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for child building benefit


The Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community (BMI) promotes owner-occupied residential property for families with children and single parents.

For each child under the age of 18 who is entitled to child benefit, you can receive EUR 12,000 building child benefit for

  • the new construction or purchase of owner-occupied houses or condominiums.

You will not receive building child benefit

  • if
    • all your children are 18 years or older or
    • your children no longer live in your household and
    • you are no longer entitled to child benefit.
  • if you have already received child benefit for another residential property,
  • if you already own a residential property,
  • for vacation/weekend homes and vacation apartments,
  • if the residential property is transferred to you, for example through
    • (anticipated) succession,
    • testamentary disposition or
    • gift.
  • In the event of the purchase or transfer of property between
    • spouses,
    • life partners or
    • partners in another long-term partnership.
  • in the event of the purchase or transfer of property between relatives of a household member in a direct line, for example
    • children,
    • parents,
    • grandparents or
    • great-grandparents.
  • if you buy your home from a household member.

You can only receive building child benefit if you do not exceed certain income limits:

  • for families or single parents with one child: your taxable household income must not exceed EUR 90,000 per year
  • for families or single parents with several children: The limit is increased by EUR 15,000 in each case. Example: If you have two children, your taxable household income may not exceed EUR 105,000 per year (EUR 90,000 + EUR 15,000).

The child building allowance is paid as a subsidy:

  • for each eligible child under the age of 18: EUR 1,200 per year and
  • for 10 years.

For each additional eligible child, you will receive an additional EUR 12,000 over 10 years.

If you move out of your subsidized residential property

  • move out,
  • rent it out or
  • sell it,

you no longer meet the conditions for the promotion. You must inform KfW Bankengruppe immediately in writing. You will then no longer receive the Baukindergeld.

The application for the Baukindergeld is made in the KfW Bankengruppe grant portal.

Please note
An application is only possible within the scope of available federal funds. There is no legal entitlement to funding.

You can apply for the Baukindergeld if

  • you have become the (co-)owner of owner-occupied residential property,
  • you are entitled to child benefit yourself or live in the same household as the person entitled to child benefit,
  • at least one child lives in your household who is under the age of 18 at the time of application and for whom the household is entitled to child benefit.

Further requirements:

  • Your household income must not exceed EUR 90,000 per year for one child (maximum income limit). For each additional child under the age of 18 for whom you are entitled to child benefit, your maximum income limit increases by EUR 15,000.
  • You must not have signed the purchase contract for your residential property before January 1, 2018. If you are building your own home, your building permit must have been issued on 1.1.2018 at the earliest.
  • Your new home or condominium must be located in Germany. Your nationality does not matter.
  • Your new home must be your only residential property at the time of application.
  • You have not yet received a Baukindergeld for another residential property.
  • At the time of application, all household members must be registered as the main or sole residents of the subsidized residential property.
  • The costs of your residential property excluding ancillary purchase costs must be higher than the subsidy from the Baukindergeld.

Whether you receive Baukindergeld and for how many children depends on your situation on the day you submit your application. 2 examples:

  • You will also receive the full Baukindergeld for one child if this child turns 18 on the day after the application is submitted.
  • You will not receive building child benefit for children born after the application date.

When applying: You do not need to submit any further documents initially

After your application has been confirmed by KfW Bankengruppe: You must submit the following documents online via the KfW grant portal:

  • Income tax assessments
    • of the second and third calendar year prior to receipt of the application, from you as the applicant and, if available
    • of your spouse, partner or cohabiting partner living in the household
  • Official registration confirmation: the registration confirmation or registration certificate must show the subsidized residential property as the main or sole residence of
    • you as the applicant,
    • the children stated in the application and
    • your spouse, partner or cohabiting partner.
  • Land register excerpt: the land register excerpt must
    • the address of your residential property,
    • you as the (co-)owner and
    • the reason for the entry.
  • If necessary, you must submit further documents at the request of KfW Bankengruppe, for example a notarized purchase contract or building permit.
  • From January 22, 2021, all applicants must submit the aforementioned documents.


  • The registration confirmation must contain the date of birth of the children.
  • If the land register entry is not yet available, you can initially provide proof with the priority notice of conveyance.
  • Application: no later than 6 months after moving into the owner-occupied residential property
  • Submission of required documents: within 3 months from the date of confirmation of your application by KfW Bankengruppe

Please note
If you do not meet the deadlines, your entitlement to the Baukindergeld will lapse.

  • for checking your uploaded documents: about 3 weeks
  • Forms: no
  • Online procedure possible: yes
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: no

You must submit the application for Baukindergeld online in the KfW grant portal.

  • Open the KfW grant portal. Click on "Registration for new customers". Complete the registration form. Enter your first and last names exactly as they appear on your ID card or passport. Enter an e-mail address that you will use permanently. Your e-mail address will be saved as your user name and cannot be changed later. Then set your individual password.
  • After completing the registration, you will receive an e-mail with a confirmation link. To complete the registration, click on the link within 7 days.
  • Log in to the KfW grant portal with your e-mail address and password. Click on "Apply for a grant now". Select the "Baukindergeld" grant and provide the required information. Send off the completed application.
  • You must now clearly identify yourself. Start the KfW grant portal. Click on "Identify now" to start the identification process. Select your preferred method:
    • Online via video identification:
      During the video call, you will be personally supported by employees of the contracted service provider (S-Markt & Mehrwert GmbH & Co. KG). Video identification must always be carried out using the IDNow app.
    • Identification at your post office via POSTIDENT:
      Print out the POSTIDENT coupon in the subsidy portal. Take the coupon and a valid ID document (ID card or passport) to a Deutsche Post branch. Deutsche Post will inform KfW Bankengruppe that you have been identified. You will then receive an e-mail from KfW Bankengruppe to the e-mail address you have entered in the KfW grant portal.
  • You will receive confirmation of your application from KfW. You will receive the application confirmation online via the KfW grant portal. You can find it under "My grant applications".
  • Upload the required documents to the KfW grant portal within 3 months of application confirmation.
  • You will receive an e-mail after the disbursement decision.
  • If the review is positive, you will receive a disbursement confirmation from KfW Bankengruppe. You will find the disbursement confirmation in the KfW grant portal under "My grant applications".
  • KfW Bankengruppe will transfer EUR 1,200 per child for 10 years, provided you continue to use your home or condominium yourself.
  • If KfW Bankengruppe rejects your application for the Baukindergeld or requests additional documents, you will also find this information in the KfW grant portal under "My grant applications".

Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community (BMI)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found