jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply to the Jobcenter for support for participation in external vocational training


Extra-company vocational training is an alternative to training in a company if you have not yet found an apprenticeship and have no prospects for the future.

Extra-company vocational training is also an option for you if your in-company or extra-company vocational training has ended prematurely and it is not currently possible for you to take up in-company vocational training, even with additional support. You can then continue your training with a training provider. The previous training period will be taken into account if possible.

It does not matter how old you are.

Your external training will take place in a recognized training occupation. Liberal professions and nursing professions cannot be trained outside the company.

Your training will take place at a training provider. The Jobcenter will cover the costs. You will receive a training allowance and are covered by social insurance.

Under certain conditions, you can also receive a vocational training allowance.

You will attend a vocational school for the theoretical part of your vocational training. Depending on the model, the practical part takes place

  • generally takes place in the workshops of the training provider including in-company training phases or
  • generally at a training company with which the training provider cooperates.

During training with your training provider, you can, among other things

  • Tutoring in individual subjects or in learning the German language,
  • Preparation for class tests and examinations,
  • support with everyday problems,
  • mediating discussions with your trainers, teachers and parents.


An experienced team of trainers, teachers and social education workers will accompany you throughout the entire period. They will work with you to develop a personal support plan based on the training framework plan.

During the extra-company vocational training, your transition to in-company training will be supported.

If there are certain reasons, you can also complete your training part-time.

As a young person with disabilities, you can also take part in extra-company vocational training if your individual support needs can be met and you can participate in working life through the training.

You can take part in extra-company vocational training if

  • You have completed your compulsory schooling, regardless of whether you have a school-leaving certificate or not.
  • You have not yet found an apprenticeship and have no prospects for the future.
  • your integration into company-based vocational training cannot be achieved with training support, for example with assisted training.
  • They have learning difficulties or are socially disadvantaged.

You belong to the group of people with learning difficulties if

  • You have completed compulsory schooling but do not have a school-leaving certificate,
  • you attended a special school with a focus on learning or
  • you are unlikely to be able to successfully complete an in-company apprenticeship despite having a Hauptschule or comparable school-leaving certificate.

You belong to the group of socially disadvantaged persons,

  • if you are under considerable social, personal and/or psychological pressure and are therefore unable to meet the requirements of company-based training.
  • Indications of this may be
  • Behavioral problems
  • Performance problems (e.g. reading and spelling difficulties)
  • single parents
  • young people with criminal convictions
  • young people with a history of addiction problems
  • young people with a migration background with language deficits or existing difficulties in settling into a foreign environment.

If you wish to continue your training in a non-company vocational training program because your company-based or other non-company training relationship was terminated prematurely, you do not have to be a person with learning difficulties or social disadvantages. One of the prerequisites for this is that you can complete your training within the contractual period of the measure and that there is a free place available.

Special requirements for foreign nationals:

As a foreigner, you can generally receive the funding, taking into account the requirements already listed, if you are allowed to do training or work in Germany - unless legally prescribed funding exclusions apply. You can find out about this from your local employment agency or job center.

You are not entitled to participate in extra-company vocational training if you

  • came to Germany no more than 5 years ago to work, study or do an apprenticeship,
  • are permitted or tolerated.

As a newly arriving foreigner who is eligible for support, you can generally be supported after a residence period of 3 months.

  • You will need your last school report and your curriculum vitae.
  • If you are a foreign national, you will need proof of your current residence permit.
  • If you do not have a school-leaving certificate but have completed compulsory schooling, you will need appropriate proof.
  • Any other documents you may need to provide may result from the consultation with the integration specialists at the Jobcenter.

There is no deadline. Extra-company vocational training usually starts in August or September each year. You should therefore contact the Jobcenter as early as possible before the start of the extra-company training.

You will conclude a training contract with the training provider before the start of the training, which will also give you a fixed time frame for the duration of the training.


You can find the office responsible for you using the office finder on the Federal Employment Agency's website.

Forms available: No
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance necessary: Yes
Online services available: Yes

You can take part in extra-company vocational training after a personal interview at the job center, if you meet the eligibility requirements, if there is a corresponding measure and a free place.

  • Contact the relevant job center and arrange an interview. You are welcome to use the website of the Federal Employment Agency to make an appointment for a personal consultation or to submit documents and evidence conveniently and securely online.
    • If you receive benefits according to SGB II, the Jobcenter is responsible for you. Otherwise, the employment agency is responsible for you. You can find the office of the Federal Employment Agency or Jobcenter responsible for you via the office finder. It depends on where you live.
  • On site, the integration specialist at the Jobcenter will record your data and check whether you meet the requirements for participation in extra-company vocational training.
  • If this is the case, the Jobcenter integration specialist will name a suitable training provider for your participation.
  • The job center will inform the training provider that you will be starting training with them.
  • You will be invited to an interview with the training provider before the training starts.
  • You will conclude a training contract with the training provider.
  • If the practical part of your training takes place in a company, you will also conclude a cooperation agreement with your training provider and the company.
  • The training provider will inform you in writing about the start and location of your training and what you need to get started.

Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (BMAS)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found