jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for miners' compensation benefit (KAL) for miners


KAL helps older miners who are affected by the difficult labor market situation until they start drawing their old-age pension. You will receive the KAL until you switch to another pension and at most until you reach the standard retirement age.

The amount of your KAL is calculated in the same way as the full reduced earning capacity pension. However, there are the following special features:

  • Only your entitlements from the miners' pension insurance are taken into account. If you have acquired other entitlements in the general pension insurance scheme, for example through work outside the mining industry, these will not be taken into account. The contributions you pay to the general pension insurance scheme will only be taken into account when you receive your pension at a later date, for example when you receive your old-age pension.
  • Supplements for permanent underground work are also not taken into account.
  • In contrast to the calculation of a pension due to reduced earning capacity, the KAL does not include a supplementary period.

Your KAL pension is therefore only calculated on the basis of the portion of your entitlement from the miners' pension insurance.

If you receive KAL, it is advantageous for you to receive your old-age pension at the earliest possible date. In contrast to KAL, you will then also receive

  • the benefit supplement for permanent work underground and
  • entitlements from the general pension insurance will be taken into account.

The time during which you receive KAL will be taken into account as a credit period in your pension. As a result, you will receive more pension later. The following old-age pensions are possible after a KAL:

  • the old-age pension for miners who worked underground for many years,
  • the old-age pension for severely disabled people,
  • the old-age pension for long-term insured persons,
  • the standard old-age pension or
  • the old-age pension for particularly long-term insured persons

Which old-age pension is suitable for you following the KAL depends on which eligibility criteria you meet. Your Knappschaft-Bahn-See pension insurance fund will advise you on this.

If you receive KAL, you may only earn a limited amount of additional income. Partial payment, as with old-age pensions, is excluded. You cannot receive unemployment benefit I or unemployment benefit II during this period.

If you take up employment again in a company with a low pension scheme, you can no longer receive KAL. This applies regardless of how much you earn.

You are at least 55 years old.

You have either

  • completed an insurance period of at least 25 years of continuous underground work

or you have

  • completed an insurance period of at least 25 years for miners' pension insurance,
  • have worked underground and
  • you have given up your last underground job for health reasons.

You must also have been dismissed through no fault of your own, for example due to

  • Restriction of operations,
  • dismissal due to closure,
  • merging of operations or
  • other rationalization measures.

You can also leave the miners' insurance scheme voluntarily if you

  • have completed an insurance period of 25 years of continuous underground work and
  • had to change your underground employment after 31.12.1971 for health reasons (reduced ability to work in mining).

If you received an adjustment allowance, these periods count towards your insurance period. You must have last worked underground before receiving the adjustment allowance.

  • Application for miners' compensation benefit
  • Personal document (such as identity card, passport, birth certificate or family register)

There are no costs.

If possible, you should submit the application 3 months before the desired start of your pension.

  • Objection.
    Detailed information can be found in the notification of your application.
  • Appeal to the social court.
    Detailed information can be found in the notice of objection.

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance necessary: No

Online services available: Yes

You can submit your application online, in person or in writing.

Online application:

  • On the German Pension Insurance (DRV) website under "Online services" you will find detailed information on the process.
  • If you follow the "Submit application" link, you will be guided through the next steps and can select the desired application.
  • Alternatively, you can use the online services with registration. For example, you can immediately see which insurance periods have already been recorded. You also save time and do not have to re-enter data you already know.
  • Complete the application in full and upload the required documents.
  • Submit your application online.
  • You will receive a confirmation of submission.
  • The Knappschaft-Bahn-See pension insurance provider will check your application.
  • You will receive notification of your application.

Personal application:

  • Compile the necessary documents for your application and make an appointment with the DRV.
  • When making an appointment online, your personal details and, if possible, your insurance number will be required.
  • You can select a desired advice center and your preferred date. Depending on the availability of free appointments, you will receive a proposal for a binding consultation appointment.
  • During your personal consultation, your application will be recorded electronically and forwarded online to the relevant pension insurance provider.
  • The Knappschaft-Bahn-See pension insurance provider will check your application.
  • You will receive a decision on your application.

Written application:

  • Go to the DRV website.
  • Download the required application form.
  • You can also collect the form in person from the information and advice centers.
  • Complete the application form, sign it and attach the required documents.
  • Send all documents
    • by post to your pension insurance provider Knappschaft-Bahn-See or
    • hand them in at one of the local advice centers.
  • The Knappschaft-Bahn-See pension insurance provider will check your application.
  • You will receive a decision on your application.

A person you trust can also submit your pension application on your behalf. Please submit a power of attorney to the pension insurance fund for this purpose. As long as the power of attorney is valid, the pension insurance company will only contact the person you have authorized.

If you give your consent to electronic communication, all correspondence can take place online. You can either use the electronic mailbox under the online services with registration or De-Mail.

Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (BMAS)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found