jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for medical rehabilitation for children and young people with pension insurance


Medical rehabilitation is used to treat health and functional disorders. It aims to restore or improve your child's health and performance so that they can participate fully in school and leisure activities again. The long-term goal is to enable your child to work later on.

You must apply for the measure in advance from the German Pension Insurance. The type of treatment and choice of rehabilitation facility will depend on your child's individual symptoms. The therapy takes place in a rehabilitation facility run by the pension insurance fund or in one of its contract clinics.

Children's rehab can be provided on an inpatient, all-day outpatient or outpatient basis and usually lasts at least 4 weeks. It can also be extended if medically necessary.

Pension insurance covers the following costs:

  • Costs for the rehabilitation of your child, for example for
    • medical treatment,
    • therapeutic and
    • educational services
  • travel costs
  • for inpatient children's rehab: costs for accommodation and meals
  • Costs for an accompanying person if necessary

To ensure that schoolchildren miss as little schooling as possible, they receive accompanying lessons during rehabilitation if regular school attendance is not possible.

You can accompany your child for the duration of the rehab if this is necessary for the implementation or success of the children's rehab. As a rule, this is the case if your child is under 12 years old.

Children are not only your biological children. If you are insured under the pension insurance scheme or are already drawing a pension, children who are taken into your household or are mainly dependent on you can also be considered children.

  • stepchildren and foster children as well as
  • grandchildren or siblings

can also receive child rehab. Children who receive an orphan's pension can also receive child rehab.

You cannot receive medical rehabilitation for your child if

  • you are a civil servant, soldier or judge or receive a pension,
  • your child is entitled to a similar benefit from another rehabilitation provider, such as accident insurance, due to an accident at work, occupational illness or injury caused by a third party,
  • your child is a civil servant or a soldier, or
  • your child is in custody or serving a prison sentence.

The following requirements must be met for your child to receive medical rehabilitation from pension insurance:

  • In principle, children's rehab is possible up to the age of 18.
  • Beyond that, at most until the 27th birthday for the period
  • school or vocational training,
  • a voluntary social or ecological year,
  • a federal voluntary service or
  • for young people who are unable to look after themselves due to a disability.
  • Rehabilitation is possible if it is likely to restore or improve your child's impaired or endangered health, particularly as a result of chronic illness.
  • Further requirements:
  • You have paid compulsory contributions for an insured employment or activity for 6 calendar months in the 2 years prior to the application or
  • You have taken up insured employment or self-employment within 2 years of completing your training. You exercised this activity up to the date of application or were incapacitated for work or unemployed after this employment or activity up to the date of application or
  • you have fulfilled the general waiting period of 5 years at the time of application or
  • You are a pensioner and receive an old-age or reduced earning capacity pension.
  • Application for pediatric rehabilitation
  • Report of findings by the attending physician

There are no costs for you.

You do not have to observe any deadlines and can submit an application for children's rehab at any time.

Processing takes up to 1 month.

  • Contradiction.
    • Detailed information can be found in the notification of your application for rehabilitation.
  • Legal action before the social court.
    • Detailed information can be found in the notice of appeal.

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance necessary: No

Online services available: Yes

You can submit your application online, in person or in writing.

Online application:

  • On the German Pension Insurance (DRV) website under "Online services" you will find detailed information on the process.
  • If you follow the "Submit application" link, you will be guided through the next steps and can select the desired application.
  • Alternatively, you can use the online services with registration. For example, you can immediately see which insurance periods have already been recorded. You also save time and do not have to re-enter data you already know.
  • Complete the application in full and upload the required documents.
  • Submit your application online.
  • You will receive a confirmation of submission.
  • The responsible pension insurance provider will check your application.
  • You will receive notification of your application.

Personal application:

  • Compile the necessary documents for your application and make an appointment with the DRV.
  • When making an appointment online, your personal details and, if possible, your insurance number will be required.
  • You can select a desired advice center and your preferred date. Depending on the availability of free appointments, you will receive a proposal for a binding consultation appointment.
  • During your personal consultation, your application will be recorded electronically and forwarded online to the relevant pension insurance provider.
  • The responsible pension insurance provider will check your application.
  • You will receive a decision on your application.

Written application:

  • Go to the DRV website.
  • Download the required application form.
  • You can also collect the form in person from the information and advice centers.
  • Complete the application form, sign it and attach the required documents.
  • Send all documents
    • by post to your pension insurance provider or
    • hand them in at one of the local advice centers.
  • The responsible pension insurance provider will check your application.
  • You will receive a decision on your application

A person you trust can also submit your application on your behalf. Please submit a power of attorney to the pension insurance fund for this purpose. As long as the power of attorney is valid, the pension insurance company will only contact the person you have authorized.

If you give your consent to electronic communication, all correspondence can take place online. You can either use the electronic mailbox under the online services with registration or De-Mail.

Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (BMAS)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found