jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for child-raising and child allowance periods in statutory pension insurance


If you raise children, you will be credited with contributions to the statutory pension insurance scheme. You will later receive more pension for this time. This compensates for the fact that parents are often only able to work to a limited extent or not at all.
Up to 3 years are credited as contribution periods in the statutory pension insurance scheme for bringing up a child. These are known as child-raising periods. In addition to child-raising periods, periods taken into account for child-raising periods are also recognized. They begin on the day of birth and end after 10 years.

  • You can apply for child-raising periods and child allowance periods if you have raised a child in the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • Adoptive, foster or step-parents can also apply for child-raising periods and periods of consideration.
  • You will be shown which proof or documents are required when you submit your application electronically.
  • If you use the application form, you can see which supporting documents are required.

There are no costs for you.

As a rule, no deadlines are specified or adhered to.
There is one exception:
In the case of joint parenting, the child-raising periods and periods taken into account can be allocated to the father. The periods taken into account for the father must be declared by both parents. This can only be made retroactively for the future, up to a maximum of 2 calendar months.

Processing usually takes 1 month.

  • Objection.
    You can find more detailed information in the notice of notification.
  • Complaint to the social court.
    Detailed information can be found in the notice of objection.

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance necessary: No

Online services available: Yes

You can submit your application online, in person or in writing.

Online application:

  • On the German Pension Insurance (DRV) website under "Online services" you will find detailed information on the process.
  • If you follow the "Submit application" link, you will be guided through the next steps and can select the desired application.
  • Alternatively, you can use the online services with registration. For example, you can immediately see which insurance periods have already been recorded. You also save time and do not have to re-enter data you already know.
  • Complete the application in full and upload the required documents.
  • Submit your application online.
  • You will receive a confirmation of submission.
  • The responsible pension insurance provider will check your application.
  • You will receive notification of your application.

Personal application:

  • Compile the necessary documents for your application and make an appointment with the DRV.
  • When making an appointment online, your personal details and, if possible, your insurance number will be required.
  • You can select a desired advice center and your preferred date. Depending on the availability of free appointments, you will receive a proposal for a binding consultation appointment.
  • During your personal consultation, your application will be recorded electronically and forwarded online to the relevant pension insurance provider.
  • The responsible pension insurance provider will check your application.
  • You will receive a decision on your application.

Written application:

  • Go to the DRV website.
  • Download the required application form.
  • You can also collect the form in person from the information and advice centers.
  • Complete the application form, sign it and attach the required documents.
  • Send all documents
    • by post to your pension insurance provider or
    • hand them in at one of the local advice centers.
  • The responsible pension insurance provider will check your application.
  • You will receive a decision on your application.

A person you trust can also submit your application on your behalf. Please submit a power of attorney to the pension insurance fund for this purpose. As long as the power of attorney is valid, the pension insurance company will only contact the person you have authorized.

If you give your consent to electronic communication, all correspondence can take place online. You can either use the electronic mailbox under the online services with registration or De-Mail.

There are no indications or special features.

Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (BMAS)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found