jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for voluntary insurance in the statutory pension insurance


With pension contributions paid voluntarily, you can

  • Acquire a pension entitlement,
  • Increase your pension entitlement,
  • increase your survivor's pension.

In addition, you can maintain an existing entitlement to a reduced earning capacity pension in this way if you have

    • already reached the qualifying period of 5 years on 31.12.1983,
    • have completed every month of pensionable service since January 1984, and
    • now pay voluntary contributions without interruption.

You can pay 1 to 12 monthly contributions per calendar year. You are free to choose the amount within a fixed range between minimum and maximum contributions. You can change the contribution amount for the future at any time, stop paying and then start paying again later. Your pension insurance institution will issue you with a certificate of your voluntary contributions paid in the previous year.

If you need insurance periods for a pension entitlement, it depends on the number of voluntary contributions. If you want to increase your pension, the amount of voluntary contributions matters.

Voluntary insurance is no longer permitted

  • as soon as your full old-age pension has been bindingly approved and
  • the month in which you reach the standard retirement age has expired.

If, on the other hand, you only receive a partial old-age pension, you can continue to pay voluntary contributions.

You can pay voluntary contributions to the pension insurance if you

  • have reached the age of 16 and
  • are not subject to compulsory insurance in the statutory pension insurance.

This applies to any person who has their residence or habitual abode in Germany. The requirements also apply to Germans who have their habitual residence abroad.

  • You do not need to submit any documents.

There are no costs for you.

  • Voluntary contributions must be paid by March 31 of the following year - in relation to the period for which they are to apply.
  • If the 31.03. falls on a Sunday or German public holiday or on a Saturday, the payment deadline ends at the end of the next working day.
  • It should be noted that the contribution values may change for contributions paid in the period from 01.01. to 31.03. for the previous year.

Processing usually takes 1 month.

  • Appeal.
    Detailed information can be found in the notice of admission to or rejection of voluntary insurance.
  • Action before the Social Court.
    Detailed information can be found in the notice of appeal.

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: No

Online services available: Yes

You can submit your application online, in person, or in writing.

Online application:

  • Please use the direct link included in the "Welcome Letter" or go to the Deutsche Rentenversicherung website.
  • On the website of the German Pension Insurance (DRV) under "Online Services" you will find detailed information on the process.
  • If you follow the link "Submit application", you will be guided through the further steps and can select the desired application.
  • Alternatively, you can use the online services with registration. For example, you can see right away which insurance periods have already been recorded. You also save time and do not have to re-enter data you already know.
  • Complete the application in full and upload the required documents.
  • Submit your application online.
  • You will receive a confirmation of submission.
  • The responsible pension insurance institution will review your application.
  • You will receive a decision on your application.

In-person application:

  • Compile the necessary documents for your application and make an appointment with the DRV.
  • When making an appointment online, your personal data and, if possible, your insurance number are required.
  • You can select a desired counseling center and your preferred appointment time. Depending on the availability of free appointments, you will receive a proposal for a binding counseling appointment.
  • During your personal consultation, your application will be recorded electronically and forwarded online to the responsible pension insurance institution.
  • The responsible pension insurance agency will review your application.
  • You will receive a decision on your application.

Written application:

  • Go to the DRV's website.
  • Download the application form you need.
  • You can also pick up the form in person at the information and advice centers.
  • Complete and sign the application form and attach the required documents.
  • Send all documents
    • send it by mail to your pension insurance institution or
    • hand it in at one of the local advice centers.
  • The responsible pension insurance institution will review your application.
  • You will receive a decision on your application.

A person you trust can also submit your application on your behalf. For this purpose, please submit a power of attorney to the pension insurance company. As long as the power of attorney is valid, the pension insurance company will only contact the person you have authorized.

If you give your consent to electronic communication, all correspondence can be done online. Either use the electronic mailbox under online services with registration or De-Mail.

Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (BMAS)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found