jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for an extension of the residence permit to continue your studies


The residence permit for the continuation of studies begun in another EU country is a temporary residence title. The residence permit is extended for the duration of the compulsory study section or exchange programme that is carried out in Germany.

The same requirements apply to the extension of your residence permit as to its issue. In particular, your livelihood should be secured for the duration of your studies in Germany.

As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this was already excluded when the residence permit was issued or last extended.

  • You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute as well as the valid residence permit for the continuation of studies started in another EU country according to § 16b paragraph 7 Residence Act.
  • The period of validity of your residence permit will expire in the near future.
  • There is no interest in deportation against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • Your livelihood is secure.
  • You can prove that you have a place at university.
  • Passport or passport replacement
  • Current biometric photo
  • Existing residence permit
  • Proof of means of subsistence (e.g. blocked account at a German bank, scholarship certificate or declaration of commitment)
  • Proof of studies in Germany
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Rental contract
  • Extension of the residence permit for the purpose of studies for beneficiaries of international protection
  • for a further stay of up to three months: EUR 96
  • for a further stay of more than three months: EUR 93
  • Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered.
  • Extension of the residence permit: at the latest eight weeks before the expiry of your still valid residence permit.
  • Objection period: 1 month

about six to eight weeks

The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence

  • Forms: forms specific to the authorities can be obtained from your foreigners authority; these may also be available online.
  • Online procedure possible in some cases

You must apply for the extension of your residence permit at the aliens' registration office responsible for your place of residence.

  • Depending on the foreigners authority and your concerns, it may be possible to apply via the internet. Find out whether your foreigners authority offers electronic application for the residence permit.
  • If the application can only be submitted in person, arrange an appointment with the Aliens' Registration Office.
  • During the appointment, your application will be received and your supporting documents will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the issuing of the electronic residence permit (eAT).
  • In the case of an electronic application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your online application to arrange an appointment at the Aliens' Registration Office. During the appointment, your documents will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the issuing of the eAT card.
  • If your application is granted, the Aliens' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can collect your eAT card from the Aliens' Registration Office.
  • There are fees for the extension of the residence permit. The time and form of payment vary depending on the authority.

Ministry of the Interior and for Local Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Harz - Sachgebiet Ausländerbehörde
Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 42
38820 Halberstadt, Stadt
03941 5970-4544
03941 5970-4160
Monday:08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Tuesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Wednesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Thursday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00