jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit for the purpose of training and further education


If you are a citizen of a non-EU or non-EEA country, you will need a residence permit for training purposes if you are undergoing vocational training or further training in Germany.

The residence permit can be issued both for qualified vocational training and for vocational training that is not qualified.

Qualified vocational training exists if it is vocational training in a state-recognized or comparably regulated training occupation for which a training period of at least two years is specified under federal or state law. If these requirements are not met, it is not considered qualified vocational training.

In-company further training includes, for example, qualification measures, internships, practical phases following a course of study or trainee programs.

The residence permit can be issued regardless of your previous qualifications, i.e. it is not linked to any special educational requirements. It is up to the training company to check whether trainees are suitable for training.

If you wish to attend a language course prior to vocational training that is not qualified vocational training or prior to further training, you must first apply for a residence permit to attend a language course and then for a residence permit for training and further training purposes.

During qualified vocational training, you are entitled to work up to ten hours per week in employment that is independent of your vocational training. Gainful employment alongside vocational training that is not qualified or in-company further training is not permitted. Self-employment is not permitted under any circumstances.

You can apply for a vocational training allowance for the duration of your training or further training (see "Further information").

Training and further education companies wishing to train a person from abroad can apply for the accelerated skilled worker procedure at the foreigners authority on behalf of the foreigner, which can facilitate and accelerate the entry of skilled workers (see "Further information").

  • Your livelihood (including health insurance) is secured for the entire duration of the training or further education.
  • You can prove that you have sufficient knowledge of the German language for qualified vocational training (level B 1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).

If you do not yet have the required language skills, you can attend a job-related German language course to prepare for the training. The residence permit to be issued for qualified vocational training also includes attendance of the language course before the start of the vocational training.

In principle, there are no language proficiency requirements for taking up vocational training that is not qualified vocational training. As a rule, however, at least sufficient German language skills at level A2 will be required.

There are no language proficiency requirements for taking up in-company further training.

  • The Federal Employment Agency must check the legal employment requirements (e.g. the training or further training contract) and approve the employment (this is usually arranged by the immigration authority).
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, a person authorized to take care of you must agree to your planned stay in Germany.

There are no reasons of public safety and order to prevent your stay in Germany. There is no interest in deporting you.

  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute).
  • If you have recently entered the country: Visa, if this was required for entry.
  • For a previous stay in Germany: Current residence permit.
  • Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm).
  • Proof of health insurance cover (e.g. confirmation of health insurance cover or insurance policy).
  • Education or training contract.
  • Approval from the Federal Employment Agency (usually obtained from the immigration office).
  • In the case of qualified vocational training: Proof of sufficient knowledge of the German language (e.g. language certificate, German school, training or university certificates, proof of successful participation in an integration course, confirmation from the training company of sufficient language skills for the intended vocational training, confirmation of registration for a job-related German language course).
  • Proof of means of subsistence (e.g. proof of income, training or employment contract, pension certificate, proof of receipt of benefits such as parental or child benefit, maintenance payments).
  • In the case of minors: consent of the person with parental authority to the planned stay.

The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the immigration authority may require less or further proof.

Further documents are required for the accelerated procedure for skilled workers. As an employer, please contact the responsible immigration authority.

Cost amount (fixed):

  • 100.00 for adult applicants
  • 50.00 for underage applicants


Additional fees may apply for the issuing of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

The time and form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.

In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may apply (e.g. for persons entitled to asylum or recognized refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.

Duration (for span): 6 to 8 before the visa expires

Note (for further information on validity):

The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before your valid visa or residence permit expires.

Duration (for span): 6 to 3

Note (for further information on the time limit):

The residence permit is issued for a limited period. The validity usually depends on the duration of the training or further education. An extension must be applied for at the Foreigners' Registration Office in good time before the expiry date.

Duration (for span): approx. 6 to 8 weeks

Note for further information on the processing time:

The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the immigration office.

The production of the electronic residence permit by the Bundesdruckerei takes about 4 to 6 weeks.

- For the issue of a national visa before entering Germany: The German diplomatic mission abroad (embassy, consulate)
- For the issue of a residence permit after entry: The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence

For the accelerated procedure for skilled workers:
Foreigners' Registration Office at the place of employment, unless a central office has been set up to carry out the procedure.

You can also obtain free advice on entry, residence and employment from the 'Hotline Working and Living in Germany' of the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad. Telephone: 030 1815-1111 Service times: Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 16:00

Forms available: No

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance necessary: Yes

  • The residence permit must be applied for before your visa or visa-free stay or your current residence permit expires.
  • Find out whether your foreigners authority allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
  • If you can only apply in person, make an appointment at the immigration office. If you apply online, the immigration office will contact you after receiving your application to arrange an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents to the appointment, in the original if possible). If the approval of the Federal Employment Agency is required, the Immigration Office will usually obtain this in an internal administrative procedure.
  • If your application is approved, your fingerprints will be taken to produce the residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office will commission the Bundesdruckerei to produce the eAT card. After completion, you will receive information and can collect the eAT card from the responsible office. The card must always be collected in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a notice of rejection.

To carry out the accelerated skilled worker procedure, the training and further education company must contact the immigration authority responsible for the place of training or further education.

  • During the validity of a residence permit for vocational training and further education, it is generally possible to change to another qualified vocational training program. If the purpose of your stay changes, you must inform the relevant immigration authority immediately. If the requirements for this are met, it is possible to change to a residence permit for employment as a skilled worker, for employment with extensive practical vocational knowledge, for studies or other purposes for which there is a legal entitlement.
  • After successfully completing qualified vocational training, the residence permit can be extended for up to twelve months in order to look for a job.
  • If the qualified vocational training or further training ends prematurely for reasons for which the person concerned is not responsible, they may be given the opportunity to look for another training place for a period of up to six months.
  • The procedure is usually carried out in German. If your knowledge of German is insufficient, it is advisable to speak to a person who can act as a translator. All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of your knowledge and belief so that your application can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be detrimental to the person concerned. In serious cases, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in good time vis-à-vis the immigration authority can result in the revocation of residence rights that have already been granted, a fine, a prison sentence of up to three years or expulsion from the federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of residence law, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs

of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Harz - Sachgebiet Ausländerbehörde
Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 42
38820 Halberstadt, Stadt
03941 5970-4544
03941 5970-4160
Monday:08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Tuesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Wednesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Thursday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00