jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.

Enter words here that describe what you are looking for (e.B. cut a tree) or a matter for citizens and companies (e.B. house construction, marriage).
Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a residence permit for the purpose of employment if you have extensive practical professional knowledge


If you have distinctive practical professional knowledge, you can obtain a residence permit for employment in the field of information and communication technology (IT sector).

For this purpose, you must have worked in the IT sector for at least three years in the last seven years and thus have acquired distinctive skills and knowledge of your job. In addition, the granting of such a residence permit requires the existence of an employment contract or a concrete job offer with a certain minimum salary.

You do not have to have completed qualified vocational training or a course of study. Recognition of your qualification acquired abroad is also not required. It may be helpful if, in addition to your several years of professional experience, you can also show relevant theoretical knowledge (e.g. through certificates or testimonials).

Before the residence permit is issued, the Federal Employment Agency must approve the employment. This also checks whether certain prerequisites can be waived. The Federal Employment Agency grants its approval for a maximum of four years.

The residence permit is issued for a limited period. Its validity depends on your employment contract or the period of validity of the approval of the Federal Employment Agency.

Under certain circumstances, the Aliens' Registration Office may require you to attend an integration course. This will then be noted on your residence permit.

If you are an employer and would like to hire an IT specialist from abroad, you can apply to the Foreigners' Registration Office for the accelerated specialist procedure, which facilitates and accelerates the entry of specialists, with the power of attorney of the foreigner.

  • You have a recognized and valid passport or passport replacement and - if required for entry - an appropriate visa.
  • There is no interest in deportation against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You have worked in the IT sector for at least three years within the last seven years.
  • You have an employment contract or a binding job offer in the field of information and communication technology.
  • Your salary will be at least 60% of the income threshold for pension insurance contributions. In 2020, 60% corresponds to a gross minimum salary of EUR 4,140 per month or EUR 49,680 per year (limit applies to the whole of Germany). The amount of the income threshold is published for each year by the Federal Ministry of the Interior, for Construction and Home Affairs in the Federal Gazette by December 31 of the previous year (see further information).
  • You are able to secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage independently without recourse to public benefits.
  • You have sufficient knowledge of German. This corresponds to language level B1. In individual cases, the requirement of German language skills can be waived. If this requirement is to be waived in your case, you must apply for this and give reasons.
  • The Federal Employment Agency has agreed to your taking up employment (approval is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office). For the approval, among other things, your working conditions (especially salary) must be comparable to those of a German employee in the same position.
  • Valid passport
  • Proof of at least three years of professional experience within the last seven years
  • If available, further proof of your acquired theoretical knowledge (e.g. certificates)
  • Your language certificate level B1
  • Original of your employment contract or a binding job offer with salary details (please use the standard federal form Declaration of Employment Relationship )
  • Current biometric photo
  • Current certificate of registration
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Rental contract
  • Also
  • If you have recently entered the country:
  • Visa, if this was required for the entry
  • as well as in case of previous residence:
  • Current residence title or other certificate of right of residence (e.g. residence permit, toleration).
  • For the implementation of the accelerated skilled worker procedure by the employer, further documents are required. Please contact the relevant foreigners authority for this purpose

Issuance of a residence permit: EUR 100,00

Modification of an existing residence permit for the purpose of obtaining a residence permit for the purpose of employment in case of distinctive practical professional knowledge (change of purpose): EUR 98.00

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered.

Note: The residence permit is issued as an electronic residence title. The fee for reissuing the card body is EUR 67.00.

  • The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before your valid visa or residence permit expires.
  • The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time. The validity depends on the period of validity of your employment contract and the approval of the Federal Employment Agency.
  • Objection period: 1 month

about six to eight weeks

The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence;

For the accelerated skilled worker procedure:

The foreigners authority at the place of business where the foreigner is to be employed, unless a central office has been set up to carry out the procedure

  • Forms: Declaration of employment relationship (standardized nationwide); further authority-specific forms can be obtained from your foreigners authority, possibly also offered online
  • Online procedure possible: occasionally
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: yes

The residence permit must be applied for at the aliens' registration office responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the foreigners authority and your concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your foreigners authority offers electronic application for the residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Aliens' Registration Office.
    During the appointment, your application will be received and your supporting documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). For the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card) your fingerprints will be taken.
  • In the case of an electronic application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your online application to arrange an appointment at the Aliens' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your documents will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • If your application is approved, the Aliens Department will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can collect the eAT card from the Aliens' Registration Office.
  • The eAT card must always be collected in person.

Fees are charged for the issuance of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.

§ Section 19c (2) Residence Act

§ 42 Paragraph 1 Number 2 Residence Act (AufenthG)

§ Section 6 Employment Ordinance (BeschV)

Ministry of the Interior and for Local Affairs

of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Landkreis Harz - Sachgebiet Ausländerbehörde
Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 42
38820 Halberstadt, Stadt
03941 5970-4544
03941 5970-4160
Monday:08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Tuesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Wednesday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Thursday08:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00